Lesson Realized

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by statjunk, Aug 16, 2007.

1. statjunk

statjunk DIY Senior Member

Hello All,

Just thought I would share this realization that I came to yesterday.

I've been flipping and remodeling houses now for about 6 years. My older wiser buddy said something to me early on, after the first one, that I just accepted but didn't absorb. He said, "You'll never be able to buy another house". His message had some adhesion but it wasn't until yesterday that it really stuck.

Here's how it stuck. Another buddy just bought a house. He invites me over and he's so excited about it. I walk through it and while this house isn't the worst I've seen it still needs a lot of work. There are violations a plenty in this thing. Unsealed duct work, exposed wiring, galvanized plumbing, unstrapped plumping, rusty electical panel, bad drywall, poorly done trim with loads of Alex Caulk etc...

So I think my buddy is right I'll likely never just buy a house. To many lemons out there. I guess I'll always have to buy'em cheap and fix'em up.

Any of you guys in the same boat?

Tom
  2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

I'm a commercial architect and I can't ever just go into a resturant or my kids school anymore and be about my business... I'm always looking at the materials, construction, traffic flow, ADA access, noise, etc.
    I can no longer just "go out to dinner".
  3. Old Dog

Old Dog G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)

drive the wife nuts...

As a G.C. I do this every where... can't help myself but drives the wife nuts if she is with me.If we are going over to a friend's house the first thing she says "don't say anything!They may of done some of the work themselves."

I can just see this on Dr. Phil...Construction guys who critique everything and the women who love them!
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

As a retired teacher, I have the same problem when I read some of the posts on this and other forums. Not just the possible typo errors, but the spelling and grammar errors! I have to control the urge to make comments. I suppose it is the same with other professions also.:D
  5. statjunk

Yup. I need to see that show.

Tom
  6. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

I do the same thing...
    I go out and mentally make notes about sloppy plumbing or someone using a toothed wrench to service chromed flushometers...
    I am constantly looking at the way things are built, piped and how the other contractors messed things up...
    Code violations are a favorite...LOL
  7. molo

molo Member

I'm still looking and learning.... Occasionally i notice a problem.
  8. D.Smith

D.Smith New Member

I take care of floorings. I cant eat out anymore.
  9. Cass

Cass Plumber

With my background in home repair and the plumbing and electric I do now I do the same when going anywhere except big box stores. I will point out important problems to home owners when I find them, and many of the problems I find are blatantly obvious ones that home inspectors missed intentionally or not.

The latest one was an expansion tank over a heater that had rusted through and was dripping on to the heater and was ready to pop. The home owner told me the inspector had spent 5 min. or more looking over the heater and messing with the gas valve for some reason.
  10. Pewterpower

Pewterpower New Member

I work for Coke and did a short stint on the Fountain side of the biz. I was in the kitchens of alot of restaraunts. Thank God I'm doing something else now, cuz I couldn't bring myself to dining out anywhere! Even now, I sit as far away from the kitchen and the soda fountain as I can. I'm just afraid of what I might see... :rolleyes:
  11. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

I've heard horror stories on the microbial buildup in soda icebins.....:(

I do the same as everyone else but I tend to look at the system design and fixtures selected...
  12. Nate R

Nate R New Member

Ugh, I do it ALL the time. I dunno, I've still found houses I've liked, but there's ALWAYS work to be done.

Sometimes it's tougher when you know too much.
  13. statjunk

I walked into a friends new construction house the other day it looked like the trim had been put together by a paraplegic. The house had a wopping 8 breakers in teh panel and the drywall was sub-par. I can't even be happy with new construction.

My buddy was right I'll never buy a house and just be happy.

Tom