Length of sand screen pipe

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by bubbalooey, Feb 17, 2011.

1. bubbalooey

bubbalooey New Member

I live in Florida, had a well installed at my house for lawn watering, it was 29' and has always had plenty of water. I have a p.s.i. gauge on my pump, when it is not running it reads 60psi, when I run my zones it never drops less than 50psi, reason being I didnt want to put a lot of sprinkler heads on one zone, but I could have. I want to install a well at my daughters home and my question is what length of sand screen pipe should I use? The local stores have them in 3' and 10' sections, I didn't notice what length was used in my well. I'm using 1 1/4" PVC and it will be about 25'-30' deep max, along with a Myers 3/4 hp motor. Thanks
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

There's no easy answer with that little input. Depends on the GPM you need, how fine the sand is, how high the water table, and how fast the recovery. If you went with a 10 footer, you would want to set it down 7 feet deeper than the 3 footer.
  3. bubbalooey

bubbalooey New Member

After I break out of the hardpan I reach water, I need to know if the 3/4 hp can pump more effectively with a 10' or 3' well point, I'm sure the 3' will work but would it ease the load to use a longer wellpoint????
  4. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

The longer is better if you have enough aquifer but be aware if it allows the well to suck air the pump will lose it's prime. There are so many variables when driving a well that there is no simple answer to 3' or 10'. Ideally the top of the well point should be below 25' to 30' to prevent sucking air.