Length of sand screen pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

bubbalooey

Reaction score
I live in Florida, had a well installed at my house for lawn watering, it was 29' and has always had plenty of water. I have a p.s.i. gauge on my pump, when it is not running it reads 60psi, when I run my zones it never drops less than 50psi, reason being I didnt want to put a lot of sprinkler heads on one zone, but I could have. I want to install a well at my daughters home and my question is what length of sand screen pipe should I use? The local stores have them in 3' and 10' sections, I didn't notice what length was used in my well. I'm using 1 1/4" PVC and it will be about 25'-30' deep max, along with a Myers 3/4 hp motor. Thanks

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There's no easy answer with that little input. Depends on the GPM you need, how fine the sand is, how high the water table, and how fast the recovery. If you went with a 10 footer, you would want to set it down 7 feet deeper than the 3 footer.

bubbalooey

Reaction score
After I break out of the hardpan I reach water, I need to know if the 3/4 hp can pump more effectively with a 10' or 3' well point, I'm sure the 3' will work but would it ease the load to use a longer wellpoint????

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
The longer is better if you have enough aquifer but be aware if it allows the well to suck air the pump will lose it's prime. There are so many variables when driving a well that there is no simple answer to 3' or 10'. Ideally the top of the well point should be below 25' to 30' to prevent sucking air.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks