LED light bulbs burning out simultaneously

Users who are viewing this thread

andybull

Reaction score
I have two separate light fixtures at my gate posts, with two bulbs in each. Twice all four light fixtures have burned out at the same time. This has only happened with LED bulbs.
The gate has it's own meter and breaker panel, due to the fact the driveway gate is far from the main house. Could this be caused by a power surge?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A surge is possible, but you might want to check the neutral line...if it's loose or corroded, you can get some really weird voltages and mess things up.

Actually, any loose connection could be an issue...

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If you have a motor to operate the gate, as it turns on or off it can put a spike on the line. A simple check to do is put in incandescent lamps and operate the gate. Check if the lamps change in brightness as the motor starts and stops. It's no doubt that the driver section of the LED lamps are burning out. Since you have separate meter and panel, it should have a ground rod. Be sure to check that ground wire is not broken or corroded at the ground rod.
After checking what Jadnashua suggest you can install small surge protector in the circuit panel similiar to this; http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...Takes-2-Load-Center-Spaces-QO2175SB/100202111

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm a proponent of something like this

http://ep-us.mersen.com/products/catalog/line/surge-trapR-type-1-spd-stt/

but there are suppressors that can fit in the box behind the lights, depending on the size that's there. I installed one of these at my mother's house after she lost her microwave and the controller board in her refrigerator during a storm. I have a similar one in my home, and have not had any issues for a very long time where my neighbors have. There's nothing to say that this is the original problem, but isn't a bad thing to have, regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
All electric utilities companies are offering surge protection at the meter for about $10 a month with all kinds of guarantees. It might just be worth it nowadays.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I have two separate light fixtures at my gate posts, with two bulbs in each. Twice all four light fixtures have burned out at the same time. This has only happened with LED bulbs.
The gate has it's own meter and breaker panel, due to the fact the driveway gate is far from the main house. Could this be caused by a power surge?

Are they on a Dusk/Dawn or motion controller ?

andybull

Reaction score
If you have a motor to operate the gate, as it turns on or off it can put a spike on the line. A simple check to do is put in incandescent lamps and operate the gate. Check if the lamps change in brightness as the motor starts and stops. It's no doubt that the driver section of the LED lamps are burning out. Since you have separate meter and panel, it should have a ground rod. Be sure to check that ground wire is not broken or corroded at the ground rod.
After checking what Jadnashua suggest you can install small surge protector in the circuit panel similiar to this; http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...Takes-2-Load-Center-Spaces-QO2175SB/100202111

The gate operator runs through 24 volts DC.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Yes they are on a photoelectric switch.

Some LED bulbs will not work with a photoelectric switch.

I think that filter is a waste of money.

I would buy better LEDs. The good ones have filters built in and work with a dimmer and a photoelectric switch.

Good Luck.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Some LED bulbs will not work with a photoelectric switch. I think that filter is a waste of money.
I would buy better LEDs. The good ones have filters built in and work with a dimmer and a photoelectric switch. Good Luck.

I found this article. http://www.jarvislights.com/application-of-photocells/ What it states is that photo cells only adds resistance to the line to a point a lamp will no longer work. I assume that there are no relays to switch off the power. For an LED light there must be a minimum working voltage. I have read that some LED lamps will work as low as 65volts AC. So what might be happening here is the drivers inside the LED lamp do not like low voltage below a certain level and could be burning up. Since LEDS draw so little power you can try leaving them on for 24/7 for a while and see what happens. If you're good at basic electricity you can add the relay and have the photocell operate a relay to switch the power on and off to the LED lamps.
A DC motor would not spike the AC side of the line, however, a surge protector can never hurt and always good to have one. It will also protect the power supply for the DC motor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks