Leaky Window in Shower - HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

cetteis

Reaction score
Our house 4 years old and our window in the master shower has starting leaking. It is leaking through the rubber seal on the bottom of the window. The pic is not very clear but the seal was very soggy and when I touched it, it sank in the crack so it is kind-of pushed down right now. The other side (outside of the shower) is where you can see that water behind the drywall. We have the area covered so when we take showers, no more waters gets in. Can we replace the black rubber seal or do you have to remove the glass in order to do this? I know having a window in the shower is asking for trouble....not sure why our builder did it but needless to say we are stuck with it! Does any one have any advice or suggestions? My husband and I are very novice carpenters/plumbers :)

Attachments

• DSCI0081.jpg
    DSCI0081.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 856

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would suggest you get a professional in to look at it ASAP...depending On how it is leaking and how the whole job was done...I have seen where water will find its way to the framing and buckle the tile and then you have major problems...if the seal is bad and it is a Basco Brand you can easly get it replaced...

cetteis

Reaction score
Would I call a plumber or the glass company that installed the window enclosure?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The shower glass is normaly installed by the plumber...be sure you get a plumber that knows what he is doing...not a novice...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
glass

That is an exterior glass window, and I have NEVER installed one, since the contractor building the residence usually installs ALL the windows in the house. One problem is that windows are designed to drain any water that enters them, such as rain, on the outside and have NO provision for water drainage on the inside, because they are not supposed to get that much moisture on them.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have never seen an exterior window with a weep hole in it and the pic appears to have one...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
All of our sliding windows have weep holes.... must have, really. But a single fixed pane would not.

I wonder if the dark spot you are looking at is just a mold spot?

cetteis

Reaction score
Yes,the window has two weep holes, however my theory is that not all the water is draining out of these holes (they are cleaned, not clogged) and is going back in to the wall. Plus excess water was coming in because of the rubber seal was soggy and not holding the water out. If I showed you pics of the other side you would wonder why I have not got this fixed yet!!! Like I said before, we have it covered so no more water is getting in to it...it just doesn't look very pretty. Someone mentioned calling a plumber...when I called my builder they said to call the glass company that installed my window however, they told me that they don't do any carpentry work so I would have to get that myself. At this point I need to find out for sure how the window is leaking and get it fixed and then have a carpenter come and touch up the drywall on the outside wall. Do you think I should call the window people or a plumber to locate the problem?

Thanks for all your help!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is NOT a plumbing issue. It is a window issue, and often the best way to deal with that is a complete tearout and proper reinstall.

I can't see why a fixed pane window needs a weephole. The sill should have been sloped back towards the shower to prevent puddles. If someone put weepholes to deal with that, then you have a hackjob from the getgo.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks