Leaky Tub Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

anon1m0us

Reaction score
Ok, here is the problem.
I have a three knob tub faucet. When I turn on the water, hot or cold, cold water leaks out from under the cold knob. In addition, I really need to close it tight for it to stop leaking from the faucet.

I know I need to replace the whole stem and seat. here is my problem.
When I remove the knob, I still have a 3 inch chrome sleeve that seems to be caulked into the wall.
Do I need to remove the sleeve? How?

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Without knowing the brand or a pic to go off of cut the caulking and try to turn the sleeve. Use a box knife cutter.

anon1m0us

Reaction score
P1000099.JPG

P1000100.JPG

The faucet is called Gerber. I attached some pictures. I just want to make sure I do not destroy the faucets if I do not have too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

The first thing you are going to have to do is remove the grout from around those sleeves so they can be unscrewed. Then the rest of the repair may be intuitive.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If it is soft ( caulking ) then a utility knife. If it is in fact hard grount, I would get a 1/8" masonry drill bit, carefully put few holes in it, the work at it with a small hammer and flat screwdriver.

The tile installer was too cute, and there may not be clearance the tile to remove the faucet stem. You would use the same process...drill and very small cold chisel...to nibble the hole bigger. There is always risk of cracking a tile. Work carefully.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
grout

Usually with a hammer and a small chisel or screwdriver. If the flange sits against the wall tightly you usually do not have to regrout the opening.

anon1m0us

Reaction score
ok, I got everything off, but the seat. It is stuck and does not want to budge. Any suggestions???

anon1m0us

Reaction score
Never mind. I used a regular HEX key which did the job instead of those stem keys.

Thank You EVERYONE!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks