Leaky Toilet but I can't figure out where it's coming from. Help?

Users who are viewing this thread

colossk

Reaction score
I can hear the water running non stop but can't find the problem:

I have tried everything I can think of:

-I have fiddled with the screw on the float ball and manually moved the float ball up and down and that doesn't help.
-The water is not above the overflow pipe.
-The flapper valve seals properly (I think) as I have stuck in my hand and pushed down on it all around the edges as hard as I could.
-The chain has more than enough slack in it and is not pulling the flapper valve up
-The toilet handle does not stick
-The water is not leaking thru the screws on the bottom of the toilet bowl
-There is no water outside the toilet or on the floor
- I added red food dye to the tank and waited 20 minutes and it never entered the toilet bowl which would indicate it's not the flapper valve?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
This is kind of like those washing machine instructions where they tell you before calling service to be sure the machine is plugged in, but: Are you sure that the noise is coming from the toilet? When you open the top and put your head down next to the fill valve, do you hear noise right there? If the fill valve is letting water in ("running nonstop"), then there will be water coming out of the refill hose as well and into the overflow riser. Is there water running out the refill hose and into the overflow riser? Is the end of the refill hose "daylighted" above the lip of the overflow riser?

If you turn off the water to the toilet, does the "running" noise stop? If so, if you leave the water turned off for a couple of hours, does the level in the tank fall? (Mark it with a pencil.)

A while back, we had a guy who was experiencing a fall in his tank water level when he turned off the water, and the toilet was running regularly to refill the lost water. He put dye in the tank but none ran into the bowl. He was mystified. Ghosts? Nope. Turns out that he put the dye in the tank but he didn't mix it up so all the water in the tank was that color. The problem was that he had a crack in the overflow riser about two inches from the top of the riser. It was hidden under the clip on which you clip the refill hose. Water would run through that crack and down the overflow riser, causing the toilet to "run"/refill. Because the dye was at the bottom of the tank, not up where the crack was, the water running into the tank through the overflow riser crack was clear. Much better to mark the water level with a pencil and see if it falls when you turn off the water; that way you will at least know that water is escaping the tank by some route -- or not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks