leaky shower door with slate tile

Users who are viewing this thread

RAB

Reaction score
Hey all,

A few years ago we had a local handyman remodel our bathroom for us. Over all we are very pleased with the work except for our shower door. I am hoping to get some advice on how to fix it.

We used the 12 x 12 squares of slate tile for the shower floor and the base where the shower door is mounted. I am not sure if the material was a bad choice or if it is just an uneven surface, but water leaks (or perhaps seeps is a better word) under the door. I think picture will explain better than I can, so here are a few.

shower.jpg
inside water pooled.jpg
outside1.jpg
outside2.jpg

We have try caulking it, but have not tried resealing it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
door

What a mess. The caulk does not seem to be holding on the inside of the bottom rail, and if so, that is a "funnel" to direct water under the rail and then it has many ways to escape into the room, mostly under the rail, down to the end, under and behind the sheetrock, and then onto the floor. I would take the door apart and clean everything completely, then reinstall the door, taking care to seal ALL contact points with the wall, and between components.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It almost looks like they didn't construct the shower curb properly. The grout in the corner is wet, and normally that shouldn't be. This is a common failure point. The top of the curb should be sloped into the shower. DUring construction, you can only use nails on the outside of the curb, and you need to use the dam corners to seal the cuts in the liner needed to wrap it over the curb.

Can you look at the floor from underneath? You might want to do that. Continued water intrusion will rot things out.

A good place for help on a tiled shower is www.johnbridge.com.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks