leaky moen posi temp shower valve fittings

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by billonion, Feb 9, 2007.

1. billonion

billonion CAD Guy / PCB Designer

Hi all,
    I've plumbed in my basement bathroom and have no leaks in any of my solder joints. There are no leaks at the compression ball valves for stool and lav supply. The threaded fittings on the Moen Posi-Temp shower valve, however, do leak. I used teflon tape, hand tightened them, then wrench tightened them 1.25 turns (I know, I marked them). I now get to rip out a bunch of my beautiful work to re-torque these fittings (I'll bet I have them torqued to 50ft-lbs already). Once I re-torque them, can I sweat them? Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks all.
    Billw
  2. If I can turn out long pigtails with the fittings already soldered to the ends, this prevents heat transfer. Most times in a wall though that is impossible.

I always crank those fittings on till they stop, never by guidelines followed by the mfg.

Over the past 6 months though when I'm dealing with the numerous styles of threaded valves I've been just soldering the fittings to the threaded connections.

I'm not proud of that application but I take the steps to make sure I use new/clean copper fittings along with wire brushing the threads on both. Applying flux and soldering up; pulls it right in.

It's impossible to prevent heat transfer on a taped/doped connection when you are working in a 4-3/4" opening and only have half of that space to get the supply line reconnected.
  3. billonion

I did solder to the fitting prior to assembling to the valve. There may have been some heat transfer while connecting elbows, etc. I don't have too much room to work (about 3 inches per side). I think I will just clean the threads on the fittings and valve, screw them together, and sweat them. If it leaks after that, it all goes in the trash. I'll go buy a Delta with solder fittings.....
    Billw
  4. billonion

I finally finished up my Moen shower valve / bathroom plumbing install.
    I cleaned, fluxed, and soldered all threaded fittings. I'm happy to report no leaks! Now I can move on to installing the shower floor, Durock, tile...
    Billw