Leaky Fire Sprinkler driving me insane

Users who are viewing this thread

ed14

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a leaking fire suppression sprinkler head (the "drop down" type that have a flush plate at the ceiling)in one of my bedrooms. The leak is small. It is filling a 3 gallon bucket underneath it in about 2 or 3 days.

After turning the water off, I tried using adjustable wrench and big pliers to remove the sprinkler head, but to no avail. I've been trying for the last several days to remove it, but no matter the amount of force I apply to loosen the stuck sprinkler head, still nothing. I also used some W40 but it just won't come unscrewed. I don't know what else to do. Please help.

Thank you,
Ed

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most sprinkler heads I've worked with have standard threading.
Lefty Loosey, righty tighty

Since it is pointing down, you may need to mentally reverse that.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
They use special designed sockets to remove and install those type of heads !

You would be better off paying a licensed sprinkler contractor to deal with it

home "fire" sprinklers is not a diy job

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My experience has been that sprinkler heads do NOT suddenly start to leak, but since most are connected to a CPVC system, that the fitting itself has cracked.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks