Leaky faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

rancar

Reaction score
OK. I'm new here, and have more than one problem, so I'll try to keep them in separate posts. We moved into our newly built home in 1995, installing a Kinetico water softener within three weeks, as water here in Phoenix is terrible. Around 2002 or 2003 our Moen kitchen faucet leaked; Moen sent a replacement, which was installed by visiting father in law - very difficult install due to corrosion. It's a white single handle with a pull out aerator. It started leaking again near the base this year, which graduated to a leak under the sink which got worse over two weeks - we now have two pans/bowls under sink. We can fight with Moen, who have not been responsive on this one, or go out an buy a new faucet. Here's the kicker" We've replaced the R/O system parts over the years and basically have a new one. The membrane kept going, needing replacement every year. Now, we found it's shot again within a few months of replacement. Service company believes it is this model of Moen faucet and a certain Grohe one that cause this problem. For whatever reason, the hot water does not turn off completely and runs into the R/O, ruining the membrane. The service guy actually turned off the faucet and showed me how the hot water was still streaming slowly into a bucket. This, plus the second leak in ten years, is why we just want to get rid of this obsolete faucet. Went to Home Depot and Lowes tonight, trying to make a wise choice. Hah! Lowe's staff is no help, telling us it's basically up to what finish and style we want. HD was more helpful, but neither place had a decent selection. I finally got a Price Pfizter(sp?) single handle. Reason: I may have a softener issue, and a ceramic cartridge may be a better bet, which Moen doesn't have. Why does Moen have cast iron in the body, when it comes in contact with water when leaking and is a bugger to get out. Moen thinks they can talk us through replacement so we don't have to hire a plumber, but the corrosion causes us not to do this. Did I make a wise choice on the faucet? I have a plumber coming to install it Monday, but am thinking of delaying him a little. We've had the water tested in the house, and it comes up soft, but we still have corrosion issues. The faucets in my hall bath (2 sinks) are also bad - one sink completely frozen, the hot water on other sink very hard to turn, and the cold was hard to turn, but now is so easy the handle comes off in our hand. You can see the corrosion. Moen has sent us new faucets to replace with, but again, we have to pay the plumber to do it. The guy at Home Depot thinks it should only cost about $60-$75 per sink to do this, but the licensed plumber is quoting appx $117 ea. sink. I've got more, but this is enough for now. Your input is greatly appreciated. :confused:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First, a plumber probably won't anwser the phone for $60, much less install a faucet for that.

Now, are you using a whole-house RO? RO treated water should not e distributed through copper or brass pipes. The neutral Ph makes it very active. This may be your faucet problem.

rancar

Reaction score
No, whole house is not on R/O

Hi. Thanks for your response. No, only the kitchen sink is on the R/O. The soft water, however, is plugged into the main, so the whole house is on that. Plumber thinks the R/O problem (where the membrane keeps going bad) is caused by the high water pressure, rather than the Moen faucet, which would make more sense to me.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd go get a water pressure gauge and check your pressure in the house. If it truely is high (say greater than 70 pounds), you need a pressure reduction valve and probably an expansion tank. They sell one with a max pressure marker. Try to get one of those, since the pressure can build at night, and look normal during the day. that should resolve the high pressure problems. It will have nothing to do with the aggressive water or other corrosion problems, though.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

Your Moen leakeage problem is most likely the "vacuum breaker" in the back of it inside the spout, and the cross over is because of a bad cartridge, either of which is repairable. Moen does not have "cast iron" in any its faucets. I would have recommended the Price Pfister faucet if you had asked. The cost of replacing the faucets usually depends on how difficult it is to access and remove the old one.

rancar

Reaction score
OK. We replaced the faucet with a stainless steel Price Pfister, single handle with attached sprayer on the faucet itself) not separate. Now, only a couple of months later, I see a little lime(?) buildup on the bottom of the handle - below the top of the dome, where the top section meets the stationary bottom section that is attached to the sink surface. We have a water softener, which has been verified that it works fine. We ensure that salt is in it, and have tested the hardness ourselves. What in the world could be going on. In addition, I noticed a touch of corrosion on the spout, right where the water comes out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks