Leaky delta faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

WestCoaster25

Reaction score
I have a delta faucet which is leaking from the handle (from the hot water side). I replaced the "O" ring but now can't get the cartridge to sit and as a result the lock ring just spins around. I lined up the grooves with the cartridge but it still sits too high. Then, I tried to replace the cartridge without the ring and the leak is worse than ever. What to do?:confused:

Attachments

• DeltaCartg.jpg
    DeltaCartg.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 331
  • DeltaLeakHot.jpg
    DeltaLeakHot.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 330

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Replace the stem. Delta faucets have a lifetime warranty. Call there 800# and they will send you the stem free of charge.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
We do not "repair" Delta stems, we replace them with a new unit. Delta's number is 800-345-DELT. You need "quarter turn" replacement stems, but most of those in the "big box stores" are "half turn versions".

WestCoaster25

Reaction score
I went to see if I could at least use the cold water faucet, but now the cold water comes out where the hot water handle used to be. I do have the cartridge screwed in. Why do you think this is happening? The cold water was working fine before I started this 'fix-it' project...

Asktom

Reaction score
I sounds like maybe the seat (rubber washer) and spring are missing, it could be they got out of place when you pulled the cartridge because that would explain why the cartridge wouldn't go back in correctly. They may have washed out while you were working on the valve.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Back pressure from resistance of water flow through the aerator causes it to back up into hot line and then the cold water comes out at the hot handle. If you remove the aerator it may flow out the spout and not leak into the hot line as much. Just cleaning it may help too. Water under pressure takes the path of least resistance.

WestCoaster25

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I fiddled with the seat and spring and that seemed to do the trick - I now have cold water coming out of the cold tap...things are getting better...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks