leaky bath tub faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

tydro

Reaction score
Ok here we go LOL so i live in a apartment at the moment.... my bathtub faucet is leaking hot water even when the water is turned off at the access panel..... i need to change the valve stems and seats but water is coming out of the spout even though its turned off at the access panel like i said... will this pose a problem for me changing the stems? its not pouring water out but still comes out pretty good even worse when the water is turned on:eek:.... this is due to my lazyness i waited a while to worry about the drip and changin the stems LOL.... i would contact my landlord but he's a dick and we dont really get along LOL but thats another story im about to move and would like to fix it before i go:cool: i am just worried about when i change it will water come sprayin out or what:confused: ive did it in a house before but i had access to the main water source.....any insight would be appreciated! thank u in advance:)....TyDrO

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, first the party line : you should not undertake repairs without landlords approval. What happens if "something happens"??

Now, without seeing the water flow, it is hard to advise. If I were to try this, I would do a couple of things:

Have all new parts standing by.
Run kitchen and lav faucets wide open to reduce water pressure.
Open hot and cold on tub wide open before removing.
The biggest potential for damage is that when you remove the stem, water will dribble or pour out of the body, and run down BEHIND the tile or fibreglass walls. You can have a bunch of plastic bags and towels ready to stuff in there, to direct the water out into the tub/

My best advice is to talk all this over with the landlord in advance. Tell him you would like to fix the shower, but the water is running. Discuss the pros and cons. Maybe he will work with you and turn off the building for half an hour.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you are leaving soon, why bother? It's the landlord's problem, and he'll need to address it after you've left for the next guy.

I'd inform him that it is leaking, then leave it in his court. If you are paying for water and heating it, I'd make a bigger deal out of it.

Sincraft

Reaction score
Take it from experience, don't let a strong arm landlord keep you from making him fix it. Don't hold back rent either. Both are against the law in ALL states.

Tell him, then send him a certified letter in mail. yes this will piss him off and he will try to kick you out lol, but you plan on leaving anyway. At any rate, you can sit there for months before they could get you out really. But it depends on where you live. We do things the old fashioned way around here so - usually that means that legalities come after action...which is, the landlord will usually just walk in and tell you to get out with 2 big guys standing there...even in the nicer neighborhoods.

However, it's not always the case.

If I were you, I would call the landlord and tell him you are having a plumbing problem. Tell him you noticed it last week and that you are worried it's causing an issue. Document your conversations etc. You won't or shoulnd' tbe held liable for anything as it's not your property and it's a maintenance issue on his part. His job is to do regular inspections of the property, it's not your job to spot issues whereas you aren't an expert and don't need to notify him of any issues unless they are obvious (IE: basement flooded, fire, mexican workers sleeping in your basement) you know, obvious stuff!

Just be sure to report the issue and don't let him strong arm you. Be firm and tell him you want it resolved or you will just ignore it and let him fix it when you are gone when the damage has been done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks