Leaky back flow preventer

Users who are viewing this thread

Ellenk

Reaction score
The back-flow preventer on my outside tap was leaking where the preventer screws onto the tap. When I tried to loosen the locking screw to tighten or remove the preventer, the screw snapped off. Yep. The back flow preventer doesn't bother me per se, but I would like to use timer value on the tap for irrigation. Right now, if I add a timer valve and open the tap, I get a steady drip from the tap. Is there any way of sealing the tap-preventer junction?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The break-away set screw on the vacuum breaker was put there to reinforce the self esteem of people who make bad decisions. I was put here to show you how to circumvent the BS.
Take a 3/16 drill bit and drill a hole on either side of the BS break-away set screw. Take a flat blade screwdriver and work it up under the edge of the device and pry it up a bit. Then unscrew the MF and throw it in the shrubbery. Now screw your timer thingy on and do your thing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are easier ways to remove the BFP, but, after you go to the work of doing that, then you will probably replace the hose faucet because it is also worn out.

Flapper

Reaction score
You maybe can just unscrew it with more force because I think usually (but maybe not always) the set screw has a flat bottom that just presses on so when you unscrew it with force, it will rub the tips of the threads off a little bit but not much and it'll still look good and work perfectly fine, whereas if you try to drill it out you might drill into the threads and make an ugly damage or crater or something.

To drill it I find the best thing to do is use a larger drill bit, and drill at the set screw (the bit will drill the screw and surrounding brass) until either the screw pops out or you just start seeing the threads, then try unscrewing it.

You can also slice away at it and stuff... basically you are probably going to need to do some hacking.

You said the screw snapped off, so the screw wasn't already snapped off? It's probably not very tight and you maybe can just unscrew it with some force.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. The set screw will scrape the threads off the faucet and mutilate them so a hose will not screw on properly
2. The screw is hardened so it will NOT "drill out" easily

Flapper

Reaction score
1. The set screw will scrape the threads off the faucet and mutilate them so a hose will not screw on properly
If the screw has a flat bottom, it probably doesn't go in deep, so it will only scrape off a little of the tips of the threads.

2. The screw is hardened so it will NOT "drill out" easily
That's why I suggest using a larger drill bit; if you use a bit the size of the screw, it will just push to the side and drill between it and the brass;

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
We're not on the same page. The broken off screw will not drill out, but if you drill the brass on either side, the nub of the government-mandated screw will fall out into the mulch. THEN, unscrew the vacuum breaker. If the threads aren't perfect when you get through, be informed that it ain't the threads that seal the spigot to your device or hose. It's the washer on the female side that seals it. Quote: drill a hole on either side.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok, I'm eating crow here. I removed two of those little darlings today and it wasn't as easy as I described it. Throw in 98 degree temperature and 100% humidity and a few dozen mosquitos, and it was a hades safari. The shrubbery was sticky, too.
It took a couple of holes on either side of the break-away screw, plus a few more high-angle holes to make channels on either side of the screw. THEN, stick a flat screwdriver into the canyon of mutilation and pry it up until the set screw falls out. Then remove the device. I'll try a more colorful description next time.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I checked it out, Smooky. Always eager to see what other folks come up with. The drill took about the same amount of time, but I can see that a cordless dremel could be helpful in that and many other situations. Not sure, but there might be a greater likelihood of thread damage with the Dremel in the wrong hands. Like mine, perhaps.
North Carolina, huh? You got a rack of PVC pipes on your front bumper?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks