leaks only when shower is on?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by djwoody, Mar 9, 2008.

1. djwoody

djwoody New Member

I have a single teardrop control bath and shower,but it only leaks when the shower is on and not when using the bath tub, could it be just the diverter valve? thx alot for your help all
  2. shower arm

try to take out the shower arm screwed into
    the wall and re-tape and grease it back up

most of the time it has somethign to do with that joint...

you can also capp of fthat line and turn on the pressure to
    see if you have any other leaks
  3. krow

krow Plumber

In cases like this, I always inspect the plumbing first without being too intrusive and then check the tils and grout, especially where the tils meet the tub, The tiles and grout have a tendency to fail at any time
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Try removing the escutchen on the valve and operating the shower. this will allow you to see if the leak is from above, at the valve, and is probably the least destructive vantage point. Do you have a diverter on the tub spout? Do you know the make/ model of this valve?
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

leaks

It depends on WHERE the leak is, not so much when it leaks. During a shower there is more back pressure on the valve so if there is a bad seal, it could leak then but not when the tub is being used. No way for us to tell without being there and seeing it.