Leaks in wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Semon

Reaction score
I live in a house that was built in the mid 60s. The exterior wall of the garage leaks between the slab and the bricks that is the exterior wall. I dug it up put tar and plastic over the tar and perforated pipe to drain the water it still leaks. I think the mortar might be breaking down.
What I was thinking is pouring a small knee wall about 1' X 3" wide then tar and plastic sheeting. Will that fix it ? Or is there a better way of doing this?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The slab should be higher than the surrounding soil, so there should be no water up that high to get in. The soil surrounding the outside of the building should be sloped away at a minimum 2% grade for the first 10 feet or more.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Is it possible that the leaks are higher up in the wall, and water is running down the interior side of brick in the cavity between the brick & interior wall?

Semon

Reaction score
A lot of the problem is that the ground on that side is about 2'6" higher than the slab. Not much I can do about that, the house is built on a hill side. I guess the best thing is to seal it to ground level. I have 4" perf. drain pipe there and going to put sand over it and try to get it to drain better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks