Leaking Woodford 17 outdoor

Users who are viewing this thread

rasr

Reaction score
I have a model 17 Woodford, frost free, that is leaking slowly when I turn it off. I was going to try to replace a washer at the end of the stem, but when I took off the handle and took out the packing material, the stem pulled out all by itself-no washers, valves . . . I can't get to the inside of the faucet because it is about 10" inside a wall with no access. Any ideas? Thanks.

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
We're thinking that maybe the washer & screw & whatever was originally on the end of the stem is just laying back in the faucet where you can't get to them . At least that's what I'm thinking . Just an idea that came to mind was that if you put something over the end to catch those items a burst of water might blow them out . I assume you have a valve that has the water cut off to the outside faucet . I think maybe Terry was thinking you might suck those items out with a vacume cleaner . The stem would have to be removed to try either option . You never know what might work so sometimes you have to think outside the box . Possibly you could bend a small hook on the end of a piece of wire & fish the items out . I am assuming that the stem has a threaded hole in the end that the washer was mounted to & held on with a screw .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks