Leaking well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

kgs 69

Reaction score
Im looking for some advice on a plumbing problem. The problem is that there is water leaking from under my pressure tank. I just discovered the problem when my carpet had a big wet spot. Is this something that a do-it-yourselfer can repair, or is it best left for a professional? I have sodered some plumbing in my house before, but Im not sure on this one. I know I have to cut the power, drain the tank, and see what is bad underneath, fix that and soder everything back together. Sounds simple but I have no clue how to drain the tank, if I need to put pressure back into the tank when Im done and probably many other things. Is there someone that can say: Yes you can do it, heres how. OR No, this is best left for a professional. I will post a couple of pictures of the system to better understand what it is I have. Thanks for any help.

P1010039.jpg

P1010040.jpg

BTW the tank is app 11 years old. I have a submersable pump and the line running to the right, with the oarnge shut of valve, goes to the sprinkler system

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you need a new tank. Replacing it shouldn't be too bad. If you turn the pump power off and open a faucet somewhere, you'll get most of the water out of the tank, enough anyway so that you can move it after disconnecting and not have a flood.

The tank will likely need the air pressure adjusted. Think of it like a big ballon - there is a valve just like the one to fill your tire up on the tank. You check and adjust the air in the same manner. You want 2 pounds LESS than the pressure when the pump turns on in it when there is no water stored in the tank. Hook everything back up like you have it, and it should work once you apply power.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I have a nearly identical tank that was wet underneath at about the same age as yours, the problem was simply the elbow threaded into the bottom of the tank and all I had to replace was that elbow. If you can, use a flashlight to take a good look at the underside of your tank, try to figure out a way to reach in there and dry everything off, then watch for dampness to re-appear.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks