Leaking waste pipe in cement floor

Users who are viewing this thread

mikebrinn

Reaction score
Boy genius here in Puerto Rico. Home is raised above an open ground floor garage level. I noticed a drip from the garage level (poured concrete slab) ceiling. I understood that water leaking through a raised concrete slab is not structurally ideal, so of course, being a forty year apartment dweller who just moved down here without bringing the super along, I figured I'd drill a hole and at least let it drain until I could figure out the next step. Lucky me, the drip was directly beneath the waste pipe - PVC set directly into the slab - and I drilled right into it. They should not let dopey consumers play with hammer drills and masonry bits. Anyone think of a diy alternative to hacking out the ceiling to (a) find the original leak and (b) fix the new hole? I can take out the toilet, and have access to the cleanout. Any possibility of relining it? Are there relining kits available anywhere? Any other genius solutions? The toilet is the only thing connected to the pipe, and it appears to be a straight run with one right angle bend where the slab meets the wall to head down to the cleanout plug near ground level and then off to the septic system. Thanks in advance for your suggestions (after you're done laughing).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's not likely to be a leak in the waste pipe, though there is one now.
For the hole drilled into the pipe, you can take a coupling, cut what you need from it, and apply it with glue as a patch.

The other issue is finding the real leak.
Are there water supply lines in the slab? To determine that, you may want to shut the water off and see if the leak stops, or if metered, check that.
You may also have a leak from a toilet seal, or from a tub or shower. Sometimes you need to slow down can check each one for the most simple and easy solution. It may be something easy like a shutoff driping, or a shower arm gone bad.

mikebrinn

Reaction score
It's not likely to be a leak in the waste pipe, though there is one now.
For the hole drilled into the pipe, you can take a coupling, cut what you need from it, and apply it with glue as a patch.

The other issue is finding the real leak.
Are there water supply lines in the slab? To determine that, you may want to shut the water off and see if the leak stops, or if metered, check that.
You may also have a leak from a toilet seal, or from a tub or shower. Sometimes you need to slow down can check each one for the most simple and easy solution. It may be something easy like a shutoff driping, or a shower arm gone bad.

Thanks! You saved me from hours of absolute concrete unpleasantness. I really appreciate the help. I'll give it a shot. The leak may actually be in the drainage system for the flat roof leaking into the wall and spreading into the slab. I can figure that one out on my own.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks