Leaking valves...best options for replacement?

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by UKMyers, May 6, 2008.

1. UKMyers

UKMyers New Member

I just moved into a new house that has a sweet 12 valve system. The problem is it has never been wired up to a controller. The valves are 3/4 Rain Jet RJ711. I don't think they are made anymore but there are many direct replacements out there. My problem is 3 of 12 valves have dry rotted and broke around where the manual shut off is causing them to leak out of the top of the valve. They have threads on the valves but the piece they are threaded into is PVC welded to the supply spout.

I looked but could not find just the top piece of the valve to replace. I'm thinking my only option is going to be to cut the PVC and replace the entire valves.

Does anybody know if I can just replace the top half of the valves? I'm curious how many of the solenoids are going to still work also. That is an easy fix though I just don't want leaky valves.

This picture shows where the the valve dry rotted and broke apart around the manual shut off.

[​IMG]

Here is how the system is set up

[​IMG]
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

3. UKMyers

UKMyers New Member

Thanks for the info. The guy at the hardware store tried to convince it was just the diaphram leaking but I dont' think that's the case. The solenoids are in pretty bad shape too. I may just hack off the PVC fittings and start over from scratch. I've seen 3/4" valves go anywhere from about $15-30 bucks on tons of sites. Any recommedations on a good place to buy them?
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

In that price range....Home Depot. They usually have the Lawn Genie, Orbit, Rainbirds, and a couple of Toro's. All of these are decent, "homeowner" quality. You could spend more and get some professional Toro or Rainbird models at a landscape supply. I would buy the Home Depot Rainbirds.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Buy some Irritrol R205TF (or R205SF) valves, and you will have the needed repair parts, along with spare solenoids and diaphragms. The newer antisyphon valves are a different design, and the parts don't retrofit.
  6. UKMyers

UKMyers New Member

Thanks for the info guys!