Leaking valve in shower - Have you seen this type of valve before?

Users who are viewing this thread

doetz15

Reaction score
My tub started dripping a little while ago and has progressively become worse. To the point it's almost a steady drip now. It sounds like my hot water tap is open a little which would be causing the leak. I can't tighten the tap any more and so I figured it must be the seal. Figured it would be an easy fix until I pulled it apart. Has anyone seen something like this before? I wasn't expecting a plastic piece to come out and what appears to be another plastic piece inside.

The piece that I'm sure I need to get at is completely enclosed by a pipe nipple that is threaded on the inside and outside. I really don't want to pull off my wall tile but there is no other way to get behind to my plumbing.

I was going to try and use a pipe wrench to turn this nipple off but not sure it will break free or not?

Has anyone seen this before and if so, any suggestions?

I hope these attached pictures help explain what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_2125.JPG
    IMG_2125.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2118.JPG
    IMG_2118.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_2121.JPG
    IMG_2121.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_2128.JPG
    IMG_2128.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_2129.JPG
    IMG_2129.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 259

SHR

Reaction score
It is a Moen two handle faucet. Replacement cartridge to repair leak is #1224b. Call Moen at 1-800BUYMOEN and they may send you the replacement part for free and they may explain exactly how to replace it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks