Leaking stainless braided water heater hose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Too many times I find leaking stainless braided water heater hoses that someone has installed.
The flexes below were on a six year old gas water heater. Even though there is a rubber seal on the end of those hoses, they just can't resist wrapping tape on the threads. Tape does nothing. The seal takes place with the rubber seal at the end of the flexible connector.

wh-flex-braided-bad-1.jpg

Leaking water heater supply lines that are only six years old.

wh-flex-braided-bad-2.jpg

What they get replaced with. Corrugated copper lines. I tried to remove as much tape as I could before I threaded on new supply lines. I hate tape on water heater connections.

wh-flex-braided-bad-3.jpg

What I took off.
The new copper water flexes should last as long as the water heater.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why would anybody install anything other than corrugated copper flex?

corrugated copper flex is the least expensive and most reliable.

Stuff

Reaction score
Why would anybody install anything other than corrugated copper flex?

corrugated copper flex is the least expensive and most reliable.
The big box stores don't stock it around here. I assumed braided was better (freeze protection) so never questioned it. They also offer a low end corrugated stainless steel version - I had a new one leak at a friend's house so replaced it with braided. Did I do him wrong twice?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The big box stores don't stock it around here. I assumed braided was better (freeze protection) so never questioned it. They also offer a low end corrugated stainless steel version - I had a new one leak at a friend's house so replaced it with braided. Did I do him wrong twice?

Not necessarily. I've seen braided connectors outlasting the WH itself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks