Leaking Sink Drain - Easy Fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

RobertoAlvarez

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a leaking u-bend in my sink drain. Is it pretty easy to fix by myself?
The video tutorials look very straight forward, and as I'm tight on cash it would be great if I could do it myself.
The water is just consistently dripping from the seal marked with the red arrow in the pic, (attached).
I was going to go to the hardware store and get the new parts. All I'm afraid of is doing a bad job and flooding the whole kitchen. That would be a disaster.

Should I give it a go??
Thanks

Attachments

• U-Bend_001.JPG
    U-Bend_001.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 233

Reach4

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that piece somewhat above the red arrow tip is not made for that purpose. A drain piece would not have that fairly sharp elbow angle that the problem piece has. It looks like the tailpiece is pretty close to in line with the pipe from the wall, so that the normal offset that allows adjustment is not really there. Somebody used this non-standard piece to work around the problem.

You may need to shorten the piece from the wall and put an angle that makes things play better. Is that PVC coming out of the wall?

I am not a plumber. You might add "trap adapter" to your searches for the cure.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never done any Irish plumbing, but the first thing I would check is the orientation of the ferrule (washer) underneath the nut.
It's tapered and the sharp side should be pointed away from the nut. It wedges itself into the connection as you tighten it, in other words.
The slip-joint fittings are not precision parts. Sometimes the casting joint at the juncture of the mold, sticks out enough to prevent a good seal. The nut will bind up and stop before a good seal is obtained.
If necessary, a quick fix would be to wrap the whole shebang with thin Teflon tape then screw the nut down. Another fix would be to slam-dunk the whole mess and go purchase a basket full of slip-joint parts and start over.
If you were in France I'd send you to Home Depeaux, but I don't know what y'all have in Ireland.

RobertoAlvarez

Reaction score
Thanks folks. Appreciate the tips.
Yes, I am based in Ireland all right. And I will be dismantling the unit this weekend. There is only so long you can keep a drip tray under the sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks