Leaking sillcock

Users who are viewing this thread

TimQ

Reaction score
I've got what looks like a very old sillcock. I think it's a Prier c-134, but it is so old the manufacturer doesn't even have a pic of it in their retired products category. Even though it is old, it is attached to a copper pipe, so my guess is that it is soldered? It is behind a brick wall, and I am too big to fit through the access to my crawl space, so I don't have many options. The thing only leaks out of the handle when it's open, so I'm not sure if it is a washer, or what. No leak when it is shut. There is a regular head screw that is in the center of the handle. Any suggestions to fix the leak? Anyone know if this model has a thread so I can just replace it from the outside? I've loaded some pics of it.

Attachments

• sillcock1.jpg
    sillcock1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 342
  • sillcock2.jpg
    sillcock2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 319
  • sillcock3.jpg
    sillcock3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 265

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A frost free hosebib is replaced from the back side. Attempting to spin one off without backing whatever hold it on in back is a bad, bad idea.
You can take what you have apart, and try to repair it, or find someone smaller to get back in the crawl for the repair.

Most of the time, we wind up replacing the entire faucet.

TimQ

Reaction score
I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info. I'll try to take it apart and repair it first. I'm just going to shut the water off and try to unscrew that regular head screw on the handle, since that seems to be the only removable part on the outside.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The large nut behind the handle also comes off. You can leave the handle attached, unthread the eight sided part behind, and everything comes out from there.

Reach4

Reaction score
Think he could fix this with generic packing?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Whatever you do, do not try to remove the sillcock from the outside. You would almost certainly twist the connect at the supply line and then you would have to find a way to get under the house. Not knowing just how much space there is to access the connection, it's hard to give specific directions, but if at all possible, the whole thing should be removed and replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks