Leaking shower

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by redmonke255, Dec 29, 2008.

1. redmonke255

redmonke255 New Member

Ok, my shower leaks.

I changed out the seats (actually, I changed the entire system[​IMG] just for the shower).

When I turn the water back on, it starts to leak. I've tightened the knob all the way off, and it still doesn't work. The seat is tight. The thing that presses against the seat is tight.

It is hot water that comes out.

Any suggestions?
  2. krow

krow Plumber

If you already changed the seat , did you also replace the washer on the cartridge?
  3. redmonke255

redmonke255 New Member

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

You installed the wrong seat, or it is not tight, or you have the wrong washer. If the right seat is installed tightly and the correct size washer was used, there is NO way it can leak, unless you damaged the faucet body while doing the repair, and that is seldom the case with a lavatory faucet. Now if it were a tub/shower faucet that would be a real possibility.
  5. redmonke255

redmonke255 New Member

It's kinda what I expected. The faucet is old (the house is a good 20 years old), so I suspected a crack.

We got a plumber to come today and he said it was most likely a hairline crack. He said it would cost around 500-700 USD to fix. :eek:

So I guess until I get it fixed it would be best to just have a cap on it, right? That way it doesn't drip. :(
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

For that price, I have to assume it is a tub/shower valve, not the sink faucet you used for a picture. If not, then he is ripping you off, big time.