Leaking Shower Head

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by PlumbersHelper, Dec 26, 2004.

1. PlumbersHelper

PlumbersHelper New Member

I have just encountered a problem in an older house (built approx. 1978) concerning a leaking shower head. There are both cold and hot water valves below the shower head. For both the valves, ALL that is protruding from the surface of the tile is about 11/16" of what looks like 5/8" dia. threaded (steel?) pipe nipple. From the middle of each of the two nipples protrudes about 3/8" of a 5/16" dia. fluted brass piece for knob attachment (threaded hole in the middle of the brass part). There are no retaining rings and the threaded nipples are completely grouted in to the the surrounding tile.

Does anyone recognize the brand of valve? Not being familiar with this type of valve, am I going to have to remove the grout around the nipples, deep sockets to remove and replace what I assume is some type of cartridge? What is correct procedure? Thanks.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

This is a typical case of a tile setter trying to be "too good". They sometimes don't understand that a much larger hole needs to be left exposed for maintenance. That is why shower valves have large trim flanges....to cover the necessary hole. You will probably need a hole about 1½" diam. minimum in order to remove the stem with a stem wrench. If you could post a picture of the set-up on photobucket or similar, we could probably lead you to an on-line parts diagram.
  3. lundi66

lundi66 New Member

leaky shower head

Hi,
    I have a leaky shower head. It is a Delta single handle shower, a shower only, no connection to tub. I was told that the washers probably need replacing since the house was build in 1990. I removed the knob down to the two washers & springs. Took them to the store for replacement & was told that the O rings were worn. However, they did not have the replacemnet parts. I put the handle & parts back together, until I could get the proper replacement. When I turned on the main water valve (not separate shut-off valve at the shower), the shower water is on, & the handle doesn't work to turn the water off. Thus, my entire water supply throughtout the house has to be turned off, otherwise the shower will run continueously.

What could I have done incorrectly when putting the faucet handle back together? Please advise.
    I have pictures, but I don't know how to attach them here.
  4. Plumber2000

Plumber2000 Plumber

You might not have got the springs and seats in straight, take apart and reinstall them.
  5. Plumber2000

Plumber2000 Plumber

Good Mike and you?
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

delta

What "O" rings? Delta kitchen faucets have "O" rings but shower, tub, and lavatory faucets do not. You must have left the seats and springs out or installed them improperly. They go in the two "side" holes, not the top and bottom ones.
  7. miranda12

miranda12 New Member

I have a leaking shower head, too.

I am having a similar problem with my shower head. I took apart the entire handle, replaced the seats and springs in the two holes at the back, replaced cartridge, bonnet assembly, and handle, but the shower head still leaked. When I removed the shower head, a lot of water sprayed out, then turned into a drip. I decided to see how much it would drip, or if it had ben fixed, so I left a bucket under it. In the morning, I checked it and the bucket was full. I am trying to figure out what is going on with it. If you figured out anything, let me know. I'll do my best to figure it out...if I do, I'll let you know. Thanks, Miranda