Leaking plumbing to bathroom renovation

Users who are viewing this thread

John Romain

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been searching this site for the answer to my question, but I haven't been able to find my exact situation. I am currently renovation a bathroom due to a water leak that was caused by a pipe I damaged (no nailing plate, right next to drywall in trim zone - D'oh). I opened up the wall and realized immediately that there was something wrong with the drain plumbing, but I'm not 100% certain the correct way to fix the problem. I believe that I have to cut into the main stack to properly vent the two sinks on the left of the picture, but if I don't have to do this I would prefer to not. Will someone please let me know if my proposed solution is correct or is there another solution that is better? Frankly I was surprised when I opened the wall; I can't see how this ever met code.

Current Configuration
Current Setup.jpg

Proposed Changes
Proposed solution.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like the second drawing. Adding a double fixture fitting and bringing the vent back to the main stack works. It does look like it's a vent at 42" above the floor.
The way it was plumbed before created S traps that will siphon. Venting takes place above the trap arm not below. Good catch on your part. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks