leaking pipe under sink with weird smell

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jenny8484, Jan 23, 2013.

1. jenny8484

jenny8484 New Member

i noticed that for a little while now there was an odd smell coming from under our sink, i thought maybe it was because of the multiple cleaning products underneath there, but then i finally noticed last night that the contact paper we put down was soaked, and discovered that the pvc pipe under the sink was leaking. It must have been leaking for a while and I didn't notice since there was quite a bit of water that built up. I cleaned everything out and dried what i could with a towel, i have a small bucket under the pipe for now until we can get it fixed. However, i still smell the odd smell... is this possibly due to mold/mildew growth? i don't really see anything on the cabinets, the wood on the bottom is just warped because of the water. thanks!
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Water will cause "off" smells, before the mold actually starts growing. The best thing you can do now is AIR. Leave the cabinet door open. Put down newpapers to suck the moisture, changing a few times a day. If it gets dry and some odor persists, try wiping everything down with lysol or pinesol.