Leaking p-trap under kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

ih

Reaction score
The plumbing under my kitchen sink is leaking occasionally. I have traced the leak to the inlet (circled in red on the picture below). The condo is new, it was built in 2010, and the pipes look like they're copper. The leak just popped up recently. I'm sure I can fix this myself.. maybe some putty or something at the leaky joint? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
IH

p-trap.jpg

Jim Mills

Reaction score
Got a slip joint plier? Take that p-trap apart & head to your local hardware store (Take the old washer with you) & pick up a pack of slip joint washers & a tube of faucet grease. Clean things up a bit, lube the washers & threads, and reassemble with the new washers & you should be good to go.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your house is only 3 years old, tighten the nut carefully and see if the leak stops. If it doesn't, replace the washer inside. No putty is needed here.

ih

Reaction score
I took it apart and the washer was broken in one place. Bought a new washer and put it back together, no leak so far. Thanks for the advice!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks