Leaking p-trap joint and can't unscrew nut

Users who are viewing this thread

ikaurs

Reaction score
I replaced my kitchen sink and garbage disposer and intended on swiveling the p-trap to line up with the new disposer. I thought the p-trap was attached with a slip joint connection and all I would have to do is loosen the slip joint nut. However, the nut won't move. I was still able to swivel the trap slightly, and of course now there is a drip coming from that joint. Any recommendations on how to fix? Thanks.
leaking joint.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT is a "union nut" not a "slip joint" and they are often very difficult to loosen, and often when you do the nut cracks. Since it is a union joint, "moving" it does make it leak unless you can tighten the nut further, or take it apart and use a suitable joint compound on it.

ikaurs

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. Since I don't think it can get any tighter, should my next step be to try turning the union nut (counterclockwise?) with Channel-Locks until it either comes loose or something breaks, and then go from there?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The nut is captive on the U, so the male threads are on the wall elbow. Make sure you are turning the right direction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks