Leaking Outdoor Faucet?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by teqnic, Sep 21, 2009.

1. teqnic

teqnic New Member

I used one of our outdoor faucets yesterday at about 5, and last night around 9, noticed it was still wet. It was not dripping but it was wet behind the handle where the handle is inserted into the faucet nut.

I checked it today around noon and it was dry. Not sure if this is an indication of a leak or normal.

I have a hose bib vaccuum breaker on this faucet.

The faucet is a prier.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Does is have a packing nut? If so, just tighten the nut a little until the leak stops.
  3. teqnic

teqnic New Member

Re

Can you tighten the packing nut too much?
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you tighten a packing nut too much, you may not be able to turn the handle! A little bit is often enough.
  5. teqnic

teqnic New Member

Re

Thanks for the help! That fixed it!