Leaking outdoor faucet; or worse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jodee

Reaction score
I really need help with my outdoor Woodford faucet. It is leaking, actually so much that when I went into our basement, I could hear water running even when there was no water on in the house. It is leaking from the spigot not the handle. So, I removed the handle, the packing nut, old packing and then the stem. I took it to our local hardware store where hw fixed me up with a new washer & packing nut. I removed the screw and crumbled old washer from the end of the tube/small pipe. It was kind of a weird one as it was not on the end, it fits into a small tunnel like space. When I tried to fit the nut into the space it was real difficult - maybe he gave me one that was too large. I did finally get it in and replaced the screw and put the faucet back together with the new packing. I now seem to hear the water running even more and the hose has a good drip/flow coming out. Do I need to change out that entire tube thing, or perhaps, I should go back and give another washer a try, assuming that the damage to the current washer makes it as bad as the old one? I would take a photo, but, it is night time, can do so in the morn if it would help. The end is different from those I have seen on youtube videos. It kind of looks like I might need a special washer that actually has two flat ends opposite each other. There are slim solid pieces of metal on opposite sides that made the washer I had difficult to fit in as it causes to flatish areas in the washer area. http://www.griggindustries.com/page2.html shows a drwing that pretty matches -(part #357XX).
Thanks for any help! :)

prospector

Reaction score
High Jodee It looks like an anti freeze hose bibb,try pulling the stem back out and looking down to the seat,thats wher the washer touches the valve body,water tends to wear the seat to a razer sharp adge and a small chip can break off,if you have the right washer alot of times the leak gets worse because its not seated to the damaged body yet.the sharp edge on the seat will keep cutting up your washers.If your realy good with a grinding stone sometimes you can flatten the seat on the valve body and get ridd of the sharp edge thats the cheepest way to start,otherwise you need to buy a new one.Hope this helps you kinda hared to tell when I can't see it.just grind it a very little at a time.

Jodee

Reaction score
Thanks a lot - I will try that and let you know how it goes - my fingers are crossed!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks