Leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer (model KBF S25EVMS3) - plugged drain line.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by johnfrwhipple, Aug 30, 2012.

1. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

The fix - New Factory Part

That makes more sense.

I took a load of pictures while helping the repair dude. Here is a couple showing the repair and how it looked before hand.
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  2. johnfrwhipple

Your Welcome DD from Ohio!

Got this email last night from someone called D.D. from Dayton Ohio.

Have a read.....

"Mr. Whipple,
    You, sir, must be a fine individual for your superb posting about Whirlpool freezer flooding. I greatly appreciate your updates, photos and thorough descriptions. With that in hand, I have completed the temporary snipping of the duckbill and will promptly order the replacement part. The photos were a huge help.
    Thank you.
    May fine health and happiness come your way."

D.D.
    Dayton Ohio US

Glad I could help. Who knew that a thread about my crappy leaking fridge and a joke thread about SEO services would be so popular!!!!
  3. johnfrwhipple

Leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer : Toronto Canada : 2 years old

So I got some more fan mail over this Kitchen Aid Discussion. Have a read.

Hi John,

Thanks a lot for your posts and information about Kitchenaid leaking problem. I have the similar model and found the exact same leaking problem 2 weeks ago, and my refrigerator is only 2 years old, I brought it from Sears when I moved in my new house in 2012, and I live in Toronto. After I searched it online including your posts, I called Kitchenaid Canada and asked them what they can do about it for a goodwill and they said they won't charge for parts but I have to pay service which is $81 for check and $19 for every 15 minutes for repair, which is still not fair to customer as this problem is totally by Kitchenaid design fault. As I don't have enough time to fight with them over the phone, I searched the part's number with your kind post and bought yesterday and replaced it this morning. With your great helpful posts and other online information, the job is not too hard too complete, and saved lots of time fighting with Kitchenaid and possible time wasting on service guy if not good. Big Thanks again!

But I still think that Kichenaid should take more responsibility and actions on this, as I'm not sure I will buy any Kitchenaid product again and I'll share this story with people around me. I might look for any government Consumer department to report this.

Oliver

I would have to agree with this fellow from Toronto. I do not think it's fair to pay to have your fridge fixed when the fault is in the design. The Duck Bill design is in many of the Kitchen Aid fridge's I think. Anyone with this type of defrost fitting should consider their kitchen aid fridge to be a ticking time bomb.
  4. DougB

DougB Member

I sh*t canned a farily new Kitchen Aids dishwasher about 10 years ago - cause of water leaks. They spend a lot of money in marketing the brand. Should spend more on engineering.

I now call it Kitchen Aids
  5. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

The good thing about Sears service, is that you can pay to keep your junk appliance working, or get a new one.

Service Contracts can be your friend, but you pay for it.

Most appliances are only designed to last for 5 years Max, Now a days.
  6. JeannieOLY

JeannieOLY New Member

Glad I found this thread: our KA fridge-freezer has just started leaking!

We also bought our KitchenAid fridge-freezer from Sears, here in Olympia WA, but didn't buy the extended service warranty for the extra five (or whatever it was) years. The warranty from our February 2010 purchase has run out, just in time for this leaking freezer problem to present itself.

Neither DH nor I are exactly clueless in DIY, but I've never attempted even pull this huge appliance out from the wall, never mind open bits of it up. For some reason, I couldn't see the photos showing How To in the earlier post. If I order the part, should I just bite the bullet and call Sears to come install it at however much $$? Any advice welcome!
  7. johnfrwhipple

Sorry Jeannie.

I have moved some picture files around a couple weeks back. The pictures of the part installed are now on my photo bucket account and password protected for those people donating to my blog page. I found copies on my blog post but can't get the url for some reason???

Original Post here: http://no-curb.blogspot.ca/2013/12/fixing-leaking-kitchen-aid-fridge.html
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  8. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

You may want to give Sears a call and see what they can do for you.

You do not need the extended service contract, If the unit had a Recall Sears gets some credit for repairing it.

You may need to pay for the trip call. Some Recall repair only covers Shop repair, and may not include trip time.

The Service Manager would be the one that could help you.

Sears may not install a part that you supply, They may need to provide it.

Good Luck.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  9. quickstarter

quickstarter New Member

Seriously? A pay wall?

I have the same fridge with the same problem and I read this thread from start to finish. When I saw that the original poster put the resolution behind a paywall requesting a mandatory donation I got offended. I am happy to pay for a professional's expertise, however, the original poster was soliciting free advice and got it. Out of principle I refuse to pay him.

Here is my story and solution:

Background: This fridge is about 3 years old, and it started leaking last year. We just lived with the issue, and I researched last fall and came across this thread. The symptoms matched mine and I knew I had a clogged drain.

1.) Clean/Replace Drain - I rolled the fridge out, took off the bottom back metal panel, removed the drain tube, and cleaned it. The drain tube is a black rubber tube piece that pops off and on. The inside of the tube was sticky, and and had poor flow. I cleaned it and inserted a length of drinking straw to promote better drainage. This is pretty easy actually, and I did it in about 30 minutes. Replacing the existing drain with the updated part should be equally easy. Another poster gave the updated drain part here: http://www.reliableparts.com/product/inv_11410877/Admiral-Refrigerator-Parts-461376. It really isn't hard to replace at all, and if my straw solution fails I will use the updated part. My drain was clogged inside the unit so this did not alleviate the issue.

2.) Defrost drain - I tried without luck to just let the drain unclogged itself by defrosting. I used a hairdryer and removed built up ice from the back and bottom of the freezer for about 30 minutes. Unfortunately I did not defrost completely and the drain was still plugged. Fridge was good for a month until the ice built up again.

3.) Disassemble the freezer to see what is going on - My wife had finally had enough, and I dove in and took the fridge apart. I wish I had taken pictures.
    a.) Remove the top basket - Do this by removing the single screw on each side of the top basket track. With the screw removed you can lift the track up and slide the basket out.
    b.) Remove the door assembly - This is easy actually. About 3/4 of the way back in each bottom track there is a white tab. Push this in and slide the track out until the door is removed.
    c.) Remove the ice maker - This is done by unplugging the the electrical plug, undoing the 3 screws, and sliding the ice maker out.
    d.) Remove the top vent cover - This is held by 3 snap tabs. There was one visible through the mesh and unsnapped it and broke it off accidentally, but it didn't seem to matter. After that I just pulled the cover out.
    e.) Remove the back panel to access the coils - This is held on by 4 tiny blots removed with a small socket. After removing I just tilted it up and taped it to the roof to see the coils.
    Finally I could the coils but not the clog. There was so much ice it was impossible to see the drain. I broke out a hairdryer and started melting, and melting, and melting... After about 40 minutes I could see the depression of the drain and 5 minutes later I broke through and the water started to drain. I finally knew I had unclogged it. Disassembling the freezer took about 45 minutes, and reassembling took about 20 minutes. If I had to do it again I could have it apart and back together again in 30 minutes. There was about 2 inches of solid ice, which is why it took so long to melt.

Step 3 is completely unnecessary, and could be done by simply heating up the freezer without disassembly. The drain is located in the center of the back panel and that's where the heat needs to go. A much easier way if you can clean out the fridge is to just unplug it for a day or two.

As painful as this sounds I bet I spent less time than the original poster did complaining to Kitchenaid. I am a computer guy with modest mechanical ability, and if I can do it a lot of others can too. I hope this helps someone.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  10. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

If there is THAT much ice, doesn't it seem like the fridge may not be being automatically defrosted? Should't accumulate that much ice based on a bad drain system.
  11. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

If there is THAT much ice, doesn't it seem like the fridge may not be being automatically defrosted? Should't accumulate that much ice based on a bad drain system.
  12. quickstarter

quickstarter New Member

A year's worth of ice will do that, but you may be right. I'll find out soon enough.
  13. neustkg

neustkg New Member

By chance, does your ice maker also do crushed ice? And do you use it a lot? I have a Whirlpool side by side with ice maker/water dispenser on the door of the freezer. We noticed a pool of water on the floor on the freezer side seemingly at random times. I could never predict when it would happen, but it was happening at least once every two weeks at it's worse. I noticed that if I took very hot water and a turkey baster and injected the hot water into the freezer drain I could induce a leak, so I thought there might be a loose connection near the back of the fridge. I never got to taking the back of the fridge apart.

A friend up the street also had the leaking problem and totally disconnected their ice/water dispenser water line from the back and shut the water off. I didn't want to lose the ice dispenser or water dispenser. But in the last 4 months, my wife made a connection with the ice crusher and the puddle problem, so she stopped using the crushed ice (button) and only used cubed ice. So far within the 4 months, no puddles.
  14. quickstarter

quickstarter New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  15. eurob

eurob master tile and stone installer

Is this better :eek:o_O

from here This review is from: W10619951 Whirlpool Extension-Drain Factory Replacement for Gromet W10309238Whirlpool will supply the part for "free" for fridges over 2 yrs old only if you pay $100+ for technician visit. This part is very easy to install (once you defrost the fridge). I slipped on the water pool left by the defective part and jammed my wrist which finally led me to address this issue and attempt a fix. This fridge is a piece of garbage. Replaced once in 1st week by vendor. Control panel broke 1.5 yrs into purchase. Leaked for over a year.This is a factory replacement for their defective part that they will not replace. Unbelievable.

By far much '' worse '' than our JW -- which complained exactly of

16. johnfrwhipple

Never buy a fridge that uses a "Duck Bill" for it's drain feature. Worst #$$%ing design ever....

So far so good the new part is working OK. But it has been less than a year. Time will tell.

I paid two service bills. Almost $300.00 in repair costs. The replacement part and the final labour to install it in the end was picked up by Kitchen Aid.

Might have something to do with my blasting of them online. I did get and email from someone asking how I got the repair promo'd and they did not. I think the clear answer there is that I took the effort to make sure that their fridge leaks would be showcased for a long time to come.
  17. Getty74

Getty74 New Member

Sounds like a reasonable charge considering the company has to pay fuel, tech wages, office staff wages, phone bills, office supply bills , workman's comp, vehicle insurance, wear and tear costs on the vehicle, advertising, company building expenses, etc . Most naive people don't know what it takes to run a business and scrape through to make it profitable. Try to run a business and put people and trucks out on the road and see what huge expenses are involved. Most are under the impression you just show up at the home and the charge is 100% profit. 15 % of that $140.00 charge might go back to the company as profit if you are lucky. Before spouting out negative comments, do your homework and educate yourself. The problem with today's society is all about entitlement. What's in it for me and what don't I have to do to get ahead.
    The information provided for the solutions to this drain issue were spot on. It happens to all refrigerators and more often due to the lack of a clean frig. on the inside. Periodically clean out the inside, especially the freezer and you will most likely never have this problem. Hygiene in the frig. Is a good thing.
  18. johnfrwhipple

The problem today, yesterday, last year is that the two service company's are behind on their tech bulletins. That most techs are happy to do a band aid repair and do not show up with the replacement part.

That shows a service man happy to fix for today and work for tomorrow attitude.

Sad really.

It would be like Terry using some duct tape to fix a pin hole leak in plumbing. With a gear clamp it might hold for a week or a month but not forever. Image if he did that and said - I charged a reasonable fee...

The sad reality is that the duck bill fitting is so piss poor it was redesigned. I have been told by Kitchen Aid that they sent out tech bulletins.

So - What's your point? Are you defending the band Aid repairs?
  19. sc6lou

sc6lou New Member

This has happened to me also. Sears just says purchase extended warranty. The problem is the drain...Hole must be too small, I had a GE but wife wanted this one. My GE lasted 24 years until compressor went. Sears is no longer reliable or dependable. They sell other peoples junk and do not back it. SO I have to every three months clean and defrost by the dain to keep it open. Going to try to put a bigger hose on the rubber funnel, maybe that will fix it.
  20. johnfrwhipple

You need to remove the old water chute and Duck Bill fitting and replace with the new part. New part is a flexible P Trap.

The problem is the Duck Bill stays shut after time and then you get a ice back log