Leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer (model KBF S25EVMS3) - plugged drain line.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by johnfrwhipple, Aug 30, 2012.

1. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Maybe if enough of use band together we can form a class action law suits and sue their ass over the garbage they are selling…….. I've seen this in a movie but I doubt it works in real life. I hope people do get money back from Kitchen Aid.

I'll keep sharing this info and all the leaks. Maybe in the future they will be more careful with their product design.
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  2. johnfrwhipple

Another Kitchen Aid Leaks Again - This time it's R.B.'s piece of shit fridge

I keep getting emails from people asking me how to fix their leaking Kitchen Aid fridge...

I don't know!!!

I have been at work when the repair man comes by (twice now).

This email I just received from RB....

Hi John, I found your post about your leaking kitchenaid French door fridge with leaking freezer. I have the same issue and kitchen aid wants to charge me $300 to fix it. My leak started about 5 ,moths after thief war entry expired.
    I read thru the thread of comments regarding your post but don't understand the fix. I am not overly handy but can figure anything out with the help of google.
    How do you recommend I go about solving this issue so I don't have to pay $300?

From RB

Classic that the leak happens juts after the warranty period. Just like mine. Planned obsolesce at it's finest I'm sure. What a crappy fridge this Kitchen Aid KBF S25EVMS3 is. Total and utter crap....
  3. Svendsen1

Svendsen1 New Member

I think mine was about 5 or 6 months after the warranty ended as well. It appears to be functioning correctly though now after I fixed it- however I know it will happen again in the next year or year and a half unless I get the p-trap to replace the rubber fish eye drain in the back .
  4. johnfrwhipple

Leaking Fridge Freezer - The ultimate worst fridge is made by..... Kitchen Aid

MIne lasted about two years and then leaked again everywhere.

I might embrace the leak and install a drain and be done with it. Or maybe Kitchen Aid will man up and send something out to fix it once and for all. I'm amazed at what little effort they have taken to answer any questions from me.

One of my chapter friends from the NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Association) said her brother's Kitchen Aid fridge leaked and ruined the gables on the new kitchen!! I'm not glad it's just my fridge but happy at least that I'm not to only sucker to buy such a shitty fridge. I'm going to suggest we do a NKBA chapter meeting to discuss the pit falls of these fridges and try and find out if one brand is better than the rest.

I'm certainly doing my best to showcase Kitchen Aid for the crappy customer service company it is. It's a small world now with online sharing. It does not take long to spread the word about such obvious lemons....

This week I got not one but two emails from people looking for help! Insane
  5. johnfrwhipple

Terry Love's busiest discussions

So I crunched some numbers today to get an idea of what kind of traffic Terry's forum is getting daily. I looked at the busiest or most viewed discussions and found that they averaged about 12-18. The discussion on RedGuard the busiest at 37 views per day.

Here is the list;

1). Bath Tub Drain Removal - 30 views per day
    2). Redguard for tiled shower? Waterproofing - 37 views per day
    3). Anyone ever use Bathfitter? - 25 views per day
    4). Removing fiberglass one-piece tub/shower - 22 views per day
    5). Shower making high pitch noise - 20 views per day
    6). Installing Durock for Shower Wall - 18 views per day
    7) . How to fix a dripping Moen shower faucet? - 28 views per day
    8). I cant remove the tub drain on my bathtub. - 27 views per day
    9). 1/2" PEX supply lines to Moen Shower valve - 18 views per day
    10). Doorless walk-in shower - 14 views per day
    11). Bathtubs: Vikrell vs Americast vs Acrylic vs ??? - 16 views per day
    12). Building a Shower Pan - Recommended Mortar Mix? - 21 views per day
    13). Pre-formed shower niches - 13 views per day
    14). Shower handle sticking out too far - 17 views per day
    15). Help with Kohler lift and turn tub drain - 19 views per day
    16). Insulate a Bathtub? - 14 views per day
    17). Shower - leaking water through wall tile? - 12 views per day
    18). No cold water in shower - 11 views per day
    19). Tile over greenboard? - 12 views per day
    20). Is Pegasus out of business? - 12 views per day
    21). Repair leaking Delta shower valve - 16 views per day
    22). Draining sediment from "self cleaning" hot water tanks - 12 views per day
    23). Has anyone had any luck with the AquaGlass Eleganza? - 15 views per day
    24). Hardi board over drywall? - 13 views per day
    25). Which Shower Valve is best? - 8 views per day

I then looked at the top 25 discussions I have started to see how they rate against the top 25 that I did not.

My list looks like this

1). Leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer (model KBF S25EVMS3) - plugged drain line. - 48 views per day
    2). Building a better tile shampoo shower niche - a how to guide - 27.5 views per day
    3). Schluter's Line Drain - A closer look at the new linear shower drain from Schluter - 13 views per day
    4). Can I Use Any Thin Set With Kerdi? The ICC-ES Evaluation Report On Kerdi Says You Can - 14 views per day
    5). Orange Mold in a Schluter Systems Kerdi Shower - Linear Trench Drain - 11 views per day
    6). Building a barrier free bathroom - AKW Tuff Form or Linear Shower Drain - 11 views per day
    7). How much should the water level drop in a Kerdi Shower flood test? - 6 views per day
    8). Drain locations for channel drains - 7 views per day
    9). Choosing the best Grout for your shower renovation - 7 views per day
    10). Kerdi Board Shower Niches - Review of Schluter System's new shower ready made niches - 30 views per day
    11). How to install an undermount sink to your bathroom counter top. - 10 views per day
    12). Building a Custom Electric Mirror - Sometimes simple is best! - 10 views per day
    13). SpiderWeb II - Review of Custom Building Products new Uncoupling Mat - 21.4 views per day
    14). "Running Water Sound" coming from behind the walls - What could be the cause? - 10 views per day
    15). Iridescent Particles in Ardex's 8+9 Waterproofing - A closer look - 11 views per day
    16). Fixing a leaking toilet - Kohler Saile K-3564 ( West Vancouver Repair ) - 4 views per day
    17). Choosing the right pipe size for Dornbracht shower fixtures. - 3 views per day
    18). Tile to Carpet Transition - A look at the best options for your home? - 13 views per day
    19). Which States and Provinces require flood testing your next shower renovation? - 6 views per day
    20). Testing the overflow on your bathroom tub. A four year old saves the day! - 3 views per day
    21). Taking a Tile Course Online - Learning the trade of tile setting via the Internet - 6 views per day
    22). Kerdi Drain Adapter - 3 views per day
    23). Pocket door hardware : What's hot and what's not - a look at some premium hardware... - 8 views per day
    24). Chromotherapy lights are worth the investment? - Tub and shower lighting - 7 views per day
    25). What effects would pressure treated wood have on copper plumbing pipes - they touch! - 3 views per day

Check out the Leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Frezer!!! Sitting all alone in number one spot. The discussion on my piece of shit fridge. I love it!!!

What is even funnier that this is my joke thread about Raj's SEO Services for a flat rate of $7.99 is averaging 66 views per day!!! LOL Go Raj - sell those SEO Services
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  6. jacobsond

jacobsond DIY Junior Member

Now there is a guy that did what I have been trying to get across. The replacement p-trap fix does work. No drain under the fridge needed. No need to remove the sheet of ice of the bottom of the freezer. It is a poor design. The problem is not limited to Kitchen Aid The repair has been out for almost a year now. Before the P-trap fix most of us repair guys just snipped a little V on the rubber piece so it would not seal up again.There was more air infiltration in to the freezer and it might have frosted the coil a little more,but the defrost drain would not plug again.
  7. johnfrwhipple

How to fix your leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge - once and for all

OK. This discussion has been going on for a long time. Two plus years to be exact. My Kitchen Aid fridge model number S25EVMS3 should be today. Fixed once and for all. After years of complaining - years of blooging about my crappy fridge someone from Kitchen Aid called me back.

Not because of this discussion here mind you - but rather I think because of my blasting them on their Face Book profiles (Kitchen-Aid Canada & Kitchen Aid America). I got someone there to ask for my email and contact info and then they called and I called back.

So Friday I phone in the morning my time 10:00AM PST. It took 10 minutes to get through and have the girl on the other line (Dawn) read the "Case File". Then I was placed on hold for four minutes - Dawn came back and said hold a little longer and another six minutes went by. Then she tells me that Kitchen Aid is going to fix my fridge! On their dime, not mine.

THAT IS ****ing Awesome. I asked how, and with what.... Dawn seems to not want to tell me but I insist no one is coming to my house unless I know what part number they are putting in my fridge. Turns out that there is a new part from Kitchen Aid for this issue. Not an original part but an entirely new part.... So again Dawn did not want to share this info but I pried it out of her and the "wait for it" ......... "Dramatic Pause"

This replaces part numbers W10309238, W10210988, W10344402, W10210987, W10585186, W10588598.

And should fix a lot of leaking Kitchen Aid Fridges.

I was told the repair man would come today. This part I love. Some time between 8:00 AM and 4:00PM. I was also told that the repair man would give me one hour notice. So I'm guessing at 7:00 AM if I do not hear from him 8:00 AM is out the window since no one called Sunday, or Saturday or even Friday.

So my fridge that continues to cost me money will now cost me possible an entire's day pay if the fellow shows up at 4:00. And maybe more if he no shows....

I'm up and ready. Freezer is emptied. Cell phone charge. Wait Wait Wait....
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  8. johnfrwhipple

Hanging Around - Waiting For Service : The Epic Leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer

O.K. It's now 8:26 AM and no word from the repair man Kitchen Aid (or I guess Whirpool really). I guess I better stop blogging an go fix something in my home or my wife will be chocked that I wasted a day at the key board.

I better finish the to do list from yesterday that some how got forgotten....
  9. johnfrwhipple

Leaking Fridge Repair Man Home Check List - Good News and Bad News

The good news is that the repair man just called and booked for 1:00PM.

The Bad news. I have three solid hours of chores to do now.

All ready cleaned up the front deck, back deck and replaced some light bulbs. I got to find another three hours of stuff to do. My wife is going to be so happy...;)
  10. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Defrost and clean the fridge ?

Is it working yet ?

Good Luck.
  11. johnfrwhipple

Repair Man comes with no Part !!! Crappy Fridge - Crappy Customer Service

Morning Don.

I woke up today hoping to share some install pictures. Hoping to tell all that my leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge was once and for all "FIXED" - but, I can not. The repair man showed up thirty minutes early. He called me asking if I could let him in or if he should come back in thirty minutes. That was nice. I of course let him in and started a fresh pot of coffee. No sense to be un civilized....

I asked straight away about the new drain line part. He had none. He did have a hair dryer and some scrap hoses of various sizes but no new part like I was told on the phone by Kithen Ais or Whirpool. The repair man said something like "They never tell us anything".

I asked if he knew the correct replacement part and informed him that Kitche Aid has a new part and the old one is no good. He did not. Lucky for me I pushed Dawn for the the number so I gave it to him. This guy drove out from Mission today to fix my fridge and did not even have a proper part. Like the last two repair men - I'm guessing he could have stopped the leak and fixed the problem, "But for how long" And when it leaked again because the hose was never replaced with the new one. Who's fault is that?

Should ever year or so I wait all day for a repair man, spend a hundred plus bucks and be happy? **** no. What a shit show.

Not only does Kitchen Aid have crappy fridges they also have crappy correspondence from their service people. I bet Kitchen Aid never even sent out a memo to all the certified repair people in North America about this new hose. I bet repair men (most of them) are happy for a temporary fix. Kind of guarantees new work in the future, I'm thinking.

I asked my repair guy if I could wait (seeing how I was told 7-10 days) for the new part for a first thing in the morning appointment - he said yes. He confirmed he had my number. Took the coffee I made him and gave to him in a to-go cup and was gone.

No I wait again.

****ing Piece of Shit Fridge
  12. jacobsond

Who do you have trying to fix your fridge? There is a fix and it works well. I think you have a poor service company not a bad fridge. We got the service bulletin a long time ago. We are an authorized service center your guy should have got the same. You can blame the manufacture for the initial poor design but not for the poor service.Blame that on your repair man.The shop is hopefully an authorized service center. I hope its not Sears if it is that explains the problem.
  13. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

When I worked at Sears and MW authorized service centers the service bulletins were available to the technicians, But they need to read them. And a good manager would make you sign off that you read them.

I would be pissed also, after all of the BS and promises.

At this point, I would buy my wife a new fridge of her choice and be done with it.

Make the old one a Beer cooler with a tap on the front, then the ice will not build up from opening the door.

Good Luck John.
  14. johnfrwhipple

Service Repair Men a joke when it comes to educating themselves on a leaking Kitchen

Funny you said that. That you got a service memo. The repair company that came out is the Authorized Service Company and was booked by Whirlpool - Kitchen Aid.

I went over to Whirlpool's Facebook page and gave them a shot online and later in the day I got a call from the Service Company telling me it was there mistake not Kithen Aids or Whirlpools. It's funny. When you listen you hear things. While I sat there in my day thinking.....

"Seriously - you bugged me at work to tell me it's your fault"

The lady at the repair center just went on and on. Doing her best to apologize and sound sorry. She in the course of the 4 minute call told me a few things.

1). The just order the proper replacement lines from Kitchen Aid
    2). My repair man did not know about the new part.
    3). My repair man has done 1 or 2 of these repairs in the past
    4). When they get a call for a leaking kitchen aid fridge they go out to look first but do not bring these replacement parts with them

Now if I made a ****ey fridge and it leaks. So bad that so many leak I would make a replacement part to solve the problem. I think that is what I would do. Then I would tell me team of service pro's all about it. Which I think from Jacobsond is what Kitchen Aid did. So now not one, not even two but three different service companies all came out to fix a leaking Kitchen Aid fridge with no proper part.

What a ****ing joke.
  15. johnfrwhipple

Whirlpool drops the ball - poor customer service poor technician training

I'm going to hold tight and see how this goes. I love that they are sending out the guy with 1-2 prior repairs out to fix my fridge. I love it that he didn't know about the part. I hope Kitchen Aid is reading this because if they drop the ball it will be some "Social Media Expert" at Whirlpool who will bear the thank-you's from upper management when someone at Whirlpool

asks...

"How did we drop the ball so badly on this one?"

"Who is this Whipple guy?"

"Why does he have such a hard on for us?"
  16. jacobsond

The company can put out tech bulletins but if the service company does not read them what good are they.The 1st time I saw this problem my 1st reaction was what the heck is this stupid thing. Where is the p-trap? I determined that the rubber they were using seemed like it was turning to a sticky jelly and was never gong to work. I snipped a V into that "duckbill" so there was no chance it would stick together. At that time the fix was a different "duckbill" that was a little longer. Not going to work I thought so I just kept snipping a V in those things. Never a callback on my repair for that problem. Later the bulletin came out with the p-trap fix.Most of the bulletins we get are kind of BS with production changes and so forth so you have to be vigilant and identify the ones that matter. In our shop I read the bulletins and tell the other guys. I am not near as busy because I am the shop guy and part of my duties is to keep up with that stuff.
  17. johnfrwhipple

Jacobsond - you sir sound like a true pro.

Thanks for all your insights. While working yesterday I also took in some product training from Noble Company. "Going Linear" was the last NTCA training episode and full of "Humorous" content.....
  18. johnfrwhipple

A miracle has happened today.

The fridge has been pulled out. Cleaned. And new parts installed. In reviewing the new part over the old I'm still not quite sure how this will fix the problem from happening again. The new drain line has a pTrap and the old was just a slide or chute for water to follow into the evaporation pan.

I'll keep my eye on it and now understand what is involved in the repair.

I think I might pull the fridge out and bleach the evaporation pan soon. Look gross. I might consider raising the sides of the pan if that is easy.

In case it was the reservoir size that had something to do with the problem.

Glad to see it working right. Turned on the wage supply line as well - it will be nice to not to have to make ice anymore.
  19. jacobsond

The old part had a rubber nipple they called a duckbill. The small slit in the duckbill took the place of the p-trap letting water out but not air in. The slit in the duckbill is what stuck together causing a clog.With the kit you remove the duckbill and put in a hose with a p-trap. Just like in plumbing water can go out and no air can get back in. That design has worked for plumbing for yrs and on the refrigerators for years also. Some bright engineer thought up that duckbill thing.I hope he does better at his new job because he sure blew this one.
  20. johnfrwhipple

That makes more sense.

I took a load of pictures while helping the repair dude. I'll post a few pictures soon.