Leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer (model KBF S25EVMS3) - plugged drain line.

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by johnfrwhipple, Aug 30, 2012.

1. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

A related problem that refrigerator designers face is how to deliver liquid water to the icemaker without the water freezing in the supply tube. This used to happen with my old Frigidaire. The engineers redesigned the water supply tube to be open at the top and for some reason that seemed to allow the water to quickly flow into the icemaker and not stay in the tube long enough to freeze.
  2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Steve I have disconnected the water to the fridge. There is no water supply - this crappy fridge leaks by itself.
  3. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Yep, that is condensate water for sure!

Your coils, like mine and everyone else's, accumulate a layer of frost on them every day. Every 24 hours or so your fridge runs a heating element next to your evaporator coils in the freezer, to melt off that layer of frost. This condensate water drips into the tray and (in theory at least) down a plastic tube to a pan at the bottom of your fridge near the compressor, where it evaporates. Something wrong in the plumbing between the plastic tray under your evaporator coils, and the water pan at the bottom.

You are absolutely right, John, that your unit seems to have a crappy design. You really shouldn't have to do anything to keep that system from leaking.
  4. johnfrwhipple

World's Worst Fridge - Kitchen Aid KBF S25EVMS3

I had a soccer rally at my place last week and one of the parents is a friend/client of mine that does custom builds. I showed him our leaking fridge and he told me that it is for this reason he specifies commercial fridges in his builds. I defrosted the inside and manage to rig up this tiny hose attachment to clean some of the coils below the fridge that had dust on them.

I did not find it funny that the design of these coils is such that you can only easily clean 25% of the surface area.

With every month I dislike this fridge more and more.
  5. dj2

dj2 Member

"With every month I dislike this fridge more and more."

I swear your wrench is getting larger with every post...

You know what I would do? mitigate my losses, and replace the fridge.
  6. FreedMiester

FreedMiester New Member

I have the same Kitchenaide, with the same problem. If you unplug the unit and take everything out of the freezer drawer, you can then remove the basket and plastic drawer insert. In back of where the drawer is (Yes, I wish tho whole freezer door would come off, but I couldn't figure out an easy way to do that, so this is awkward to reach) is a metal? panel with vents in the bottom. Behind this is the evaporator coil, and in the center is a drain hole that connects to a short rubber tube with a "fish mouth" end, that exits into the pan underneath. The fish mouth is supposed to keep cold air from leaking out, but open to allow water to drain. It is clogged with ice. There may be a heated wire that is supposed to melt the ice (i don't remember). I pulled that panel out and used a hair dryer to clear the ice from the drain and it took another 9-10 months to clog up with ice again. Now that it is clogged again, I plane to pull the fridge forward, remove the hardboard panel from the the back of the fridge and try to clear the drain from there (it has to be easier). I might cut some of the "fish mouth" off to let it drain easier...
  7. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Just resurrecting this post. For some fridge models there is an retrofit kit from appliance parts stores that includes a wire that goes from the defrost coil to the condensate drain so that any ice gets thawed every defrost cycle.
  8. johnfrwhipple

The fridge is repaired again for a second time.

With the last two bills averaged out this crappy fridge is costing me $18.00 PER MONTH in maintenance. What a joke.

JW
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  9. johnfrwhipple

The fridge is repaired again for a second time.

With the last two bills averaged out this crappy fridge is costing me $18.00 a month in maintenance. What a joke.

JW
  10. jacobsond

jacobsond DIY Junior Member

Here is the tech bulletin. Your appliance service person should know about it.Repeat failures is not exceptable (at least not in our shop). You may need to find another repair person.
    PDF file to big to attach I pasted relivent page without the picture
    ® Registered trademark of Whirlpool, U.S.A., KitchenAid, U.S.A., Jenn-Air, U.S.A., or Maytag Properties, LLC or its related compa
    ®MAGIC CHEF is a registered trademark of CNA International, used under license. © 2013 All rights reserved.
    For Immediate Attention of Your Service Department TECHNICAL
    SERVICE
    POINTER
    Technical Service Pointer #: W10632338
    Action Required: Informational/Mandatory
    Release Date: August, 2013
     Refrige
    Page 1
    Brands Affected
    ALL POINTERS ONLINE:
    https://www.servicematters.com/
    To receive pointers by email, or to edit
    or delete a current email address, go
    to https://www.servicebench.com/
    Amana, Jenn-Air, KitchenAid, May
    And Whirlpool Refrigerators.
    Models:
    See attached pages.
    Serial Numbers: All
    Concern:
    Ice build up on bottom of freezer.
    Defrost water does not drain.
    Duck bill check valve plugged.
    Correction:
    A “P Trap†drain tube kit is now available for the
    models listed on the attached sheets. If the new
    design “P Trapâ€, see figure 1, has not already been
    installed, Order and install kit part number
    W10619951. Follow the detailed instructions supplied
    with the kit.
  11. asbruckman

asbruckman New Member

We have the same fridge and the exact same problem.

My best guess about what is happening is that it's really easy for the middle freezer drawer to get bent a bit.
    That makes it hard to close the freezer properly. Whenever it's left a bit ajar, stuff melts.
    And the water then creates a sheet of ice on the bottom of the freezer.
    And the sheet of ice makes it impossible to close at all.

We're now removing the sheet of ice twice a week.
    Thinking about trying to bend the bins back in shape, but can't figure out
    how they're supposed to go. I found this thread while looking for a picture
    of what the middle rack is supposed to look like--where are the wheels supposed
    to ride? The two sides are bent differently. Just removing the middle
    freezer rack might help possibly....

It's driving me particularly crazy because my DH is always asking "Who left the freezer open??!"
    And my answer is "It's @#$# impossible to close right, even if you're paying attention, for an adult.
    The kids have no hope."

All advice appreciated!
  12. johnfrwhipple

Hi ASBRUCKMAN

I think the fridge design is just a piece of crap. I hooked up some soft copper pipe to a shop vaccum to help clean the grills on the bottom. The repair man last time told my wife that this problem is so common with this fridge. He also told my wife that the fridge had to be pulled off the wall for better circulation or something. Our fridge is 4" off the mark we set it too and looks horrible.

When I finally install my hardwood floors I'm installing a linear shower and waterproof completely under the fridge. We stopped using the water line and hate this fridge. We thought it would be a great one. Man where we wrong.

Sorry you are having problems. Not sure what to say other than enjoy the repair man visits. This Kitchen Aid Freezer will cost me more in repairs and drain modifications than it cost new in a short time I'm sure.

You think a brand new fridge would be able to last at least 3 years before falling apart.
  13. jacobsond

jacobsond DIY Junior Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2013
  14. johnfrwhipple

IS that part OK for the Leaking Fridge from Kitchen Aid?

I'm sure the repair man is happy coming every year and billing me. He did not mention this after market piece. Speaking of piece - this fridge is a piece of shit! LOL

I did not know asking for a fridge that does not cause water damage to my flooring was a question I should have asked.
  15. johnfrwhipple

IS that part OK for the Leaking Fridge from Kitchen Aid?

I'm sure the repair man is happy coming every year and billing me. He did not mention this after market piece. Speaking of piece - this fridge is a piece of shit! LOL

I did not know asking for a fridge that does not cause water damage to my flooring was a question I should have asked.
  16. johnfrwhipple

Getting service for a leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer.

So I posted the view count on Kitchen Aid's FaceBook wall and they asked me for my phone number and some info on the shitty fridge. Serial number etc. Three year back when I did the same no one called. No one asked me any info - nothing.

Now three years at 22,000 plus views later - maybe someone at kitchen Aid will tells us how to fix this leaking fridge of theirs. Brutal the customer service. Lets see how long they take to call me and suggest a repair. I wonder what that will cost me?
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  17. johnfrwhipple

70 people per day looking for help Re: Leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer

It appears that more and more people are looking for help with their leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge. This last ten days saw 700 people view this thread! Insane.

What a testimonial to a piece of shit fridge I bought. So many people in the same boat. I wonder how many thousands of dollars are spend every week keeping a simple fridge working the way it should.

Kitchen Aid Canada told me ten days ago someone would call me. Not a word. Not an email. Not a phone call.

I guess if your Kitchen Aid you just ignore the exposure and hope it goes away…..
  18. Svendsen1

Svendsen1 New Member

So I just finished "fixing" this problem this morning on my 2 year old Kitchen Aid fridge. Here's what I did. I pulled the fridge out and removed the hardboard back off the bottom portion of the fridge. I located the rubber fish eye drain tube and removed it and cleaned it out. It was sticky and clogged with food particles and dust from the past 2 years. (When that rubber piece clogs, the water that is melted from the defrost cycle backs up to the top of the drain that is located in the freezer and ends up freezing. ) I reattached the rubber drain tube, put the hardboard back on, and pushed the fridge back into place. I then took the freezer door off, as well as all the baskets to gain access to the back panel inside the freezer. I used a hair dryer to get the majority of the ice thawed covering the fins of the coil. I then boiled some water and using a syringe, concentrated the hot water in the center portion of the pan underneath the condenser pan to melt the ice that had frozen inside the drain that leads to the pan in the bottom rear part of the fridge. There's no need to remove the panel at the back of the freezer as long as you can get a turkey baster or syringe to shoot hot water in the center portion of one of the vents on the panel. The problem stems from the rubber drain piece near the compressor, so since there is a p- trap fix available, I was wondering if anyone had installed one yet and can comment on how it's holding up? Because I'm sure mine will clog again within the next 2 years... Im just glad I was able to avoid a service charge...
  19. johnfrwhipple

Thank you for your helpful post. I wish I had the time and the skill set to do this repair myself.

Never had much luck with appliance repairs - I specialize in showers.

Is Kitchen Aid going to pay you for your time? I doubt it. Sad that each fridge requires all this repair time and that the fridge was so poorly designed that 1,000's of people are having problems. I wonder how much damage these Leaking Kitchen Aid Fridges have caused over the years...
  20. Svendsen1

Svendsen1 New Member

I appreciate you starting this thread. I wouldn't have known what a common problem this was on such an expensive fridge had you not posted the issue you were having. Like you, I also have hardwood floors in my kitchen. By luck I guess, I happened to be in the kitchen near the fridge at the same time it decided to start leaking for the first time. I was fortunate it didn't damage my floor. I sure wish kitchen aid would pay me for my time to fix this ridiculous problem. I doubt they will though.