Leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer (model KBF S25EVMS3) - plugged drain line.

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by johnfrwhipple, Aug 30, 2012.

1. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

That would be extremely annoying to say the least!
    This is a bad design. I don't recall ever seeing anything in a refrigerator owner's manual about the need to clean out the drain system. Not that easy to do for a DIY'er either -- you have to take off some of the plastic panels in the fridge
  2. jacobsond

jacobsond DIY Junior Member

Your defrost drain was plugged. The design on this fridge is poor IMHO using what they call a duckbill type design. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Grommet/W10309238/1937679
    The “new†design on is not much better than the old design. Instead of using a P type trap they use a little rubber grommet with a slit in the bottom to let the defrost water out. Well it plugs. I usually cut the slit open a little wider to get better water flow but that will let more moist warm air into the freezer so it may frost up more. To get to the grommet you take the back off the fridge look for where the drain comes out remove the grommet and clean/replace. Then use a hair dryer to melt the ice buildup in the drain pan under the coils in the freezer. I hope they come up with a hose with a trap as a fix on their next attempt. The new design plugs just as easy as the old. As far as sears goes Ill keep most of my comments to my self because they are not good in this area. 7 day wait to get the service to your home then 7more days when a part needs to be ordered. So usually around here a 14-30 day repair time is not unusual.Don't get your appliances from a lumber yard either.The lumberyard doesn't have service people. Our store sells and services. You can actually talk to me the serviceman. In our small store our customers are also our friends.
  3. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

The never ending leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer - Model # S25EVMS3

Jacob I build showers for a living. I waterproof and vapour proof. The fact that a new fridge less than three years can leak and flood out a kitchen floor is alarming to me. The fridge sucks and is the worst fridge I have ever seen. The water line is turned off - I'm taking no chances with this piece of ####.

We had is serviced and I refused to give it water. With the fridge serviced (nice repair bill - Thanks Kitchen Aid) and the ice maker in the off position it regulary trys and draw water or makes some weird noise. It's a daily reminder of what a piece of crap it is. A daily "Slap in the Face" if you will.

The whole experience has led me to inform all my clients that fridges should be purchased without this water and ice feature. That and the filters are so over priced. We live in Vancouver - our tap water is great. If I want cold water I can run the tap for a few seconds.
  4. jacobsond

jacobsond DIY Junior Member

Sorry your having so many problems. I fix them don't build them so like many things quality has gone down because in the USA we shop price not quality. Fridges flooding is rare but can happen. The flimsy supply lines can crack water valves can stick open. It doesn't happen a lot but it happens. The saddle valve failure is unfortunate but not the fault of the fridge it is the fault of the valve manufacture or the installer or both/neither. I know the saddle valve did not come with the fridge. It is purchased separate. We sell water line kits all the time. Install them and have no issues.We always recommend the customer have a plumber install a "real" valve but there we are again with cost. Now back to the defrost drain there is less than 1/4 cup of water produced.When the drain plugs usually the bottom of the freezer gets iced up and if it goes unnoticed a small puddle of water develops in front of the freezer. Like any leak if its caught right away little or no damage. The design on your fridge gives more trouble others but plugged defrost drain can happen with all models and brands. I for one wont give up my ice and water just like I wont give up the dishwasher and cloths washer just because of the potential for a leak.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  5. johnfrwhipple

Great advice. Do the manufactures pay for repairs if this causes a problem? I wonder why the manufacture does not list this as an option???
  6. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

OK, so last night my wife points out to me that the floor is wet behind our Kenmore elite fridge (made by LG); I pull the fridge out away from the wall and see something I had to look at more than once to believe. I guess it is good that the leak is not from the fridge condensate itself. The 1/4" copper line I ran between the fridge and the little ballvalve I put in a few years ago, sprang a leak within the area where I curled it into an about a 5 inch diameter loop. It must have weeping for at least a little while because it had scaled over with some green oxide crust. when I scraped off the crust with my finger nail, it started dripping about 1 drop per 20 seconds. When I formed that loop a couple of years ago, i was careful not to kink the tubing, which was very soft and made the loop with enough length so the fridge could be pulled away from the wall when necessary. I guess the last time I moved the fridge was a while ago judging by the dust bunny population. Must have been a factory defect in some Chinese made tubing? Going to replace it this afternoon and inspect the bad area with an eye loupe.:eek:
  7. johnfrwhipple

Bob I think we need to build shower pans for these new fridge installations. Maybe I'll rig up the ACO flanged drain into thehardwood and install Kerdi, Noble or 8+9 under the fridge! What a joke.

NExt fridge will not have any water or ice option - that is for sure!!!
  8. viclee1117

viclee1117 New Member

same problem

[
    QUOTE=johnfrwhipple;354593]If this is a common problem then I am going to start informing the builders I work with that I have another plan. My wife this morning has green lighted operation Fridge drain line!

JW[/QUOTE]
    I have the same problem and its very fustrating and I have woods floors also. How did you turn off the water? I do not want to use it anymore cause when the ice cubes fall on he bottom (which is all the time) they melt and water literally pours onto the floor so I would rather not even use the ice maker anymore.
  9. viclee1117

viclee1117 New Member

I have the same problem and its very fustrating and I have woods floors also. How did you turn off the water? I do not want to use it anymore cause when the ice cubes fall on he bottom (which is all the time) they melt and water literally pours onto the floor so I would rather not even use the ice maker anymore.
  10. viclee1117

viclee1117 New Member

11. johnfrwhipple

We thought it was ice at first as well but it was the crappy fridge. You need to back off the levelling feet in the front and roll the fridge out. The turn off the water supply. If you are lucky the shut off for the water is somewhere else other than behind the fridge - look for an access panel somewhere close to the fridge first before moving the fridge out.
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  12. dj2

dj2 Member

Years ago I had an Admiral side by side that leaked right after the warranty was up. A friend told me to look at the drain tube, and sure enough it was plugged by some paper from the factory.
    Fast forward, last year my Hotpoint leaked. A quick look at the drain line and sure enough it was plugged too with some debris.
    I assume that during assembly, careless workers cause these things to eventually cause a leak. low quality control? sabotage? frustration? low pay? who knows.

John, you don't need to install a floor drain, that's absurd. Just keep the back of the fridge clean and watch for ice build up - a sign of water in the wrong place. Regarding what your repairman said about this happening every 2-3 years - it's not a rule.
  13. dj2

dj2 Member

Years ago I had an Admiral side by side that leaked right after the warranty was up. A friend told me to look at the drain tube, and sure enough it was plugged by some paper from the factory.
    Fast forward, last year my Hotpoint leaked. A quick look at the drain line and sure enough it was plugged too with some debris.
    I assume that during assembly, careless workers cause these things to eventually cause a leak. low quality control? sabotage? frustration? low pay? who knows.

John, you don't need to install a floor drain, that's absurd. Just keep the back of the fridge clean and watch for ice build up - a sign of water in the wrong place. Regarding what your repairman said about this happening every 2-3 years - it's not a rule.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  14. johnfrwhipple

The Never Ending Leak Issue with my Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer

So the other day we had more water leaking out of the world's crappiest fridge. This Kitchen Aid Fridge sucks.

This leak was only 11 months after we paid to have it fixed. Not sure I want to have to pull out a fridge and check it every 6-9 months.
  15. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Very disappointing, John!

If this is your condensate drain line freezing up, and there is no debris causing this to happen, I have read on some of the appliance forums that some techs will wrap copper wire around the defrost coils and run the wire down the drain a little ways - that way every time the fridge does a defrost cycle it melts any ice build up. I think I have seen some actual repair kits that use this principle in one of the appliance repair parts sites.
  16. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades

Is your drain pan full ?

Many designs have a removable drain pan behind the front kick plate. The compressor and condenser are in the bottom.

The small drain pain will hold water temporarily during defrost, then the condenser heat and fan evaporate the water.

If you have a spill inside the pan will fill up, and the water does not have time to evaporate before the next defrost cycle.

Or you can have blocked airflow, that can cause the same problem.

Good Luck.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  17. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades

I did not see this post jimbo, until I posted.

Yes, What jimbo said.
  18. johnfrwhipple

Thanks Guys.

It appears that regular cleaning is a must for this leaking fridge.....
  19. johnfrwhipple

Thousands of people looking for help with their leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer

You know what I find so interesting is look at the volume of views this discussion is getting. It's the most traffic I've seen for a long time in such a short time line. There must be thousands of people in the same boat. Not a good sign.

I still like the idea of the back of linear shower drain....
  20. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades

You should design one and become rich.

Great Idea.