leaking joint?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by bsperr, Jan 6, 2009.

1. bsperr

bsperr Member

I recently soldered in a tee to my 3/4 copper line to install an expansion tank to go along with a PRV. The joint looks filled, but there is not a bead of solder along the outside of the joint. I've been checking periodically for leaks, and every couple days I see a minute trace of water at the bottom of the joint. It's not beading or dripping, and I can barely tell it's there until I wipe it away with the tip of my fingernail. I've soldered bad joints before, and those leaks were VERY apparent. Does this sound like a leak or could it just be condensation (the rest of the pipes are pretty sweaty)? I just wanted to run it by you guys before I redid it. Thanks.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I suspect it is leaking. There must be something that makes you think it's a leak and not condensation, and I doubt that any reassurance to the contrary wouldn't set your mind at ease.:D I'm sure you know that you can not just add solder to the joint now because water has been present.
  3. bsperr

bsperr Member

I thought it must be a leak but was a bit reluctant to cut it out before I got a little confirmation. Hopefully the next one will stick. Thanks Gary.
  4. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

I don't know where you live, but sweaty pipes are not good and lead to mold. Run a dehumidifier and see if the joint stays dry before you rip everything apart.