Leaking Jet Pump Fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

korinaG

Reaction score
We have a Craftsman 3/4 horse shallow well jet pump that is around 15 years old. Recently, we ran out of water and the pump would not shut off. We replaced the pressure switch and the pump started blowing off the hose from the pressure switch. We then noticed that the foot valve was stuck open so we fixed it. As the foot valve was clogged we have taken the pump apart to check the venturi and impeller for clogs, nicks or warping. We found none.

We had installed a new air bladder tank several months ago and plumbed it with cpvc. When we fixed the clogged foot valve, the pipe from the pump to the bladder tank began leaking, so we replaced it with another cpvc fitting. This time the pump blew the cpvc fitting out of the thread into the pump. We have since replaced the line with brass fitting and PEX. Now the fitting is leaking on the pump side, as well as several of the other fittings that weren't leaking before.

All fittings were installed with teflon tape. Every time we start the pump it primes quickly and sends large volumes of water to our house. The pump only ever reads 50 psi and AS we have a 40/60 switch it will not turn off. At 50 psi we get leaks in the fittings. We are going to replace the pressure switch with a 30/50 tonight to avoid burning out our pump.

SOOOO...I want to know how to properly stop the leaks around the brass fittings. Should I use plumbers putty? Pipe dope? Whatever it is, it must be able to withstand high water pressure. Or does this sound like a function of a warped plastic housing and I just need to find a replacement?

Thank you for your assistance.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
We have a Craftsman 3/4 horse shallow well jet pump that is around 15 years old. Recently, we ran out of water and the pump would not shut off. We replaced the pressure switch and the pump started blowing off the hose from the pressure switch. We then noticed that the foot valve was stuck open so we fixed it. As the foot valve was clogged we have taken the pump apart to check the venturi and impeller for clogs, nicks or warping. We found none.

We had installed a new air bladder tank several months ago and plumbed it with cpvc. When we fixed the clogged foot valve, the pipe from the pump to the bladder tank began leaking, so we replaced it with another cpvc fitting. This time the pump blew the cpvc fitting out of the thread into the pump. We have since replaced the line with brass fitting and PEX. Now the fitting is leaking on the pump side, as well as several of the other fittings that weren't leaking before.

All fittings were installed with teflon tape. Every time we start the pump it primes quickly and sends large volumes of water to our house. The pump only ever reads 50 psi and AS we have a 40/60 switch it will not turn off. At 50 psi we get leaks in the fittings. We are going to replace the pressure switch with a 30/50 tonight to avoid burning out our pump.

SOOOO...I want to know how to properly stop the leaks around the brass fittings. Should I use plumbers putty? Pipe dope? Whatever it is, it must be able to withstand high water pressure. Or does this sound like a function of a warped plastic housing and I just need to find a replacement?

Thank you for your assistance.

If the pump ran for a long period with out pumping water and the housing is plastic then the chances are good that the housing over heated and warped.

John

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
And, that same overheating problem is the reason why all the downstram piping and fittings are failing. re-pipe it all. Use teflon tape or pipe dope with teflon.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
It sounds as though the casting could have warped but I doubt it.

Use at least 3 wraps of teflon or better yet use a good grade of teflon thread dope. We always use #2 Permitex on all suction fittings on the pump. If you are concerned with leaks on the pump housing connections it won't hurt to use the same #2 Permitex (Non-hardening).

Even 60# isn't to high a pressure on this pump or fittings.

Porky Cutter, MGWC
NGWA.org certified "Master Ground Water Contractor"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks