Leaking Gerber drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jarvis

Reaction score
I have a whirlpool bath that appear to use a Gerber trip lever drain. Recently we have begun noticing water seeping through the tile from under the tub after a shower. I have ruled out water going around the shower curtain...no evidence of that. My current suspicion is that the drain is leaking. I have no access to get behind the drain (that end of the tub borders an outside wall...an outside concrete block wall).

My question is...once I remove the chrome thing (not sure what to call it, but it's held in place by a screw and has small holes to allow the water to drain through, but keeps anything else from going down the drain)...once I remove it, does the brass thing that this screws into come out? i.e. if I turn it counterclockwise, will it screw out? I don't want to break it.

My hope is that this is where the leak is coming from and I can simply put some putty underneath it and screw it back down and the leak is fixed.

If it does screw out, do you have suggestions for the best way to go about removing it?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

Jarvis

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Could be a variety of things none of which are definite until you catch the smoking gun.
Possibilities include: (not in any order of possibilty)
1) Leaking Valve
2) Leaking Tub Spout
3) Leaking Valve escuthens
4) Leaking or Missing Overflow Gasket
5) Leaking Waste & Overflow Assy.
6) Leaking Trap or, Drain Piping
7) Leaking Connection Shower Arm/Drop Ear Elbow
8) Tile in Poor Condition
9) Cracked or, Corroded Tub
10) Tub Enclosure Panels Loose/Leaking
11) Grab Rail Through Enclusure Leaking
12) Tub Pitched Wrong water runs over the side
13) Careless use of shower curtain
14) Rails/Soap Trays mounted in tile wall leaking
15) Window in wall leaking
16) Glass Doors Leaking.
17) All The Ones I Forgot To List!

Good luck! These can be tough to find! The tub being a whirlpool compounds the # of places where leaks can occurr. Note sometimes a leak may be due to where a particular person positions the showerhead or the way the water bounces off their body.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I have a whirlpool bath that appear to use a Gerber trip lever drain. Recently we have begun noticing water seeping through the tile from under the tub after a shower. I have ruled out water going around the shower curtain...no evidence of that. My current suspicion is that the drain is leaking. I have no access to get behind the drain (that end of the tub borders an outside wall...an outside concrete block wall).
In my experience, the first thing to check are the wall tiles and grout lines. , Especially where the tiles meet the tub. Its probably an acrylic tub without an edge flange around the tub perimeter. Check the easy ones that redwood suggested first before you start dismantelling hardware.

I would highly consider eliminating any tile issues first before you go any further.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks