Leaking frostfree spigot

Users who are viewing this thread

maro17

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've got a question related to my hose bibb.

A few days ago I noticed that there was a fairly significant drip coming from the spout. I first tried the obvious turning the handle as hard as possible by hand, but this still left the same drip. I then tried turning the handle with pliers, but not so hard as to cause any external or internal damage. No luck. My next thought was to thread a cap onto the spigot, and when that didn't work I added teflon tape. Still no luck.
I finally relented and called a plumber. He walked over to the spigot and immediately proclaimed that the entire assembly would need to be replaced, due to being an Arrowhead brand. He explained that these units eventually develop a groove internally, which causes the drip. I asked him the extent of the work, and he told me that it would require cutting at least a 2'x2' hole in my basement drywall to access the pipe and solder the new joints.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not a pro, and this guy could very well be spot-on. But it doesn't seem to add up. First off, my gut-feeling of this guy, when he was so quick to make the diagnosis, was not good. Also I noticed that I can sometimes get the dripping to stop, which leads me to believe that it is not a "groove in the copper". When I checked on it today it was dripping frequently enough that the droplets very nearly forming a steady small stream. I opened the valve entirely and then gently closed it completely, but gently. This cut off the stream entirely. No dripping, whatsoever. This leads me to believe that it is simply a worn o-ring, and that I was exacerbating the problem when I would tightly close the valve, by causing the gasket to pucker.
Either way, cutting a 2x2' hole in the wall and replacing the entire assembly seems a tad dramatic to me.

Am I off base here? Let me know what other information I can provide to help, and I will also snap a picture tomorrow.

Thanks,
Ben

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use a 7" x 7" access panel.
He needs a 24" x 24"?
Sometimes a frostfree can be rebuilt. Most of the time we have nothing on the truck for that. We are there, and it's easier to install a new one most of the time. Two trips out for a simple job to repair an "old" faucet doesnt' make a lot of sense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks