Leaking from the Base

Users who are viewing this thread

rtorrez

Reaction score
I noticed that some water was slightly leaking from the base of the toilet. After having the wax ring change twice it continues to leak. The catch, water only leaks when "sitting" on the toilet and it leaks before flushing. I noticed that there are also no leaks when flushed. The other thing that I noticed is that it only leaks when it has not been used for a few hours, sometimes just when used the first time in the morning. I also noticed that this happens AFTER we have some rain. Throughout the day there are no signs of water coming out of the toilet. Any suggestions?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First thing that comes to mind is: does the toilet move at all when you sit on it? If it does, you can keep putting new wax seals on until dooms day, wax isn't resilient, and when it rocks, will break the seal. The toilet must be sitting rock solid on the floor (use shims as required) for a wax seal to survive.

If the room is quite humid, it could be condensation running down off of the tank or a bad seal between the tank and the bowl. Resting against the tank might move things and allow a little seepage.

rtorrez

Reaction score
The toilet does not rock and I don't think the room is humid.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're losing the seal somewhere under there. I would suggest you pull the toilet up and clean off the old wax. Then look at the flange. Does it set on top of the finished floor or is it recessed? If it is recessed, that may be the problem. A thick wax ring can compensate for a small recess, but you may need to add an expansion ring on top of the flange if the flange is setting deep. If it is solid on top of the floor, then set the toilet over the flange without a wax ring. It should set solidly on the floor all around. If not, it needs shimming. When you set the toilet with a new ring, make sure you set it straight down and don't slide it across the ring. Unless the toilet is broken, there should be no leaks if you do these things.

Jeff_08

Reaction score
If you shine a flashlight between the tank and bowl, do you see any water there that could be leaking from the tank bolts or the tank to bowl gasket in the center? I had that problem with an old center gasket and after replacing it the dripping was gone. The drips were running down the sides of the bowl towards the back. Just thought you might want to check that out to at least eliminate the possibility. Over time the tank bolts can also become loose when the gasket compresses from the tank/water weight.

Edit - I realize you said it's from the base, but when I had the tank to bowl gasket issue it appeared to be around the base until I saw where the drips were starting from. Just a suggestion.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Check the back of the bowl for water. Your description implies that the leak is from the tank and running down the back of the bowl to the floor.

rtorrez

Reaction score
The water seems to flow only from one side of the toilet. A friend that is a plumber for a seminary school is coming over this afternoon and checking it out. THANK YOU all for your replies!!!!! Much appreciated!!!!:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks