leaking fountain - sealing stopper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I have a patio fountain that came with a large rubber stopper(2.5 dia x 1.25" thick) and a short roll of green colored putty on a roll. The stopper is tapered, a hole in the center and a slit for setting in the pump cord and light kit wire.
I cant seal this stopper well enough in the basin to prevent the fountain from leaking. In additon to using the small amount of rolled putty I have tried to use silicon which has worked the best so far but still leaks(very little). So after several attempts with the putty and silicon I havent been able to get a perfect seal. I want to be able to remove the plug when I need to drain the water - so it cant be a permanent fix.
Most silicon tubes do not recommend for underwater use, so is my current silicon seal short lived?

Seems like an easy thing to do but...ideas/suggestions??
- should I use another type of putty. Plumbers putty?
- butyl rubber for sealing(which I can get in a tube @ Ace Hardware)?
- a better technique for using the roll putty?
- aquarium/marine sealant(but reads its meant for glass)?

thanks for your help...
Chris

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In the electrical department of a hardware store, you will find a block of heavy putty which officially they call "duct seal compound" but unofficially everyone calls it "Monkey S%*T". This will fix it.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I like the idea of a bulkhead fitting but think I will still be fighting to keep a seal for the pump and light kit cord. But thinking a Heyco type connector might work.
I will try the duct seal compound first and see what happens.

thanks for the replies...
Chris

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks