Leaking Fleck 9100 Control Valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

sidmoore

Reaction score
We have an eight-year-old Culligan Soft-Minder Twin with a Fleck 9100 control valve. The upper valve assembly is leaking at the piston.

Several years ago on this forum, it was suggested that the seal kits and the piston assemblies be replaced. However, I think I take issue with the need to replace the piston assemblies. It would seem to me that the pistons should sustain NO wear since they ride within the seals and have no contact with the inner wall of the cylinder. Is that not correct?

I should add that my wife and I are in our seventies and use very little water. The Fleck controller only cycles about once every two-to-three-weeks which means that, in the eight years it's been in service, it has only cycled a total of about 160 times.

As to the disassembly to replace the seal kits, it would appear rather straightforward. However, I would like to know if there are any stumbling blocks along the way a novice should know about?

As for specific replacement parts (from Softenerparts.com) is anything needed other than the two seal and spacer kits?

To summarize my questions:

1) Are new piston assemblies needed?
2) Tricks and tips for disassembly/reassembly.
3) Assuming the old piston assemblies can be used, are there any other parts likely to be required?

Thanx, guys!

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The wear on the piston may come from the grit in the water. You may not see it, but there is grit. There is a teflon coating on the piston which is worn off. It can be tricky to replace the seals. IIRC the middle one can fall into the media tank if not carefull.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
1) Are new piston assemblies needed? Considering the age, it would be considered good practice to replace them.
2) Tricks and tips for disassembly/reassembly. Nothing difficult here, remove the screws from the front and back, replace the parts. The difficult part is making sure the seals are on the "lands" inside the valve. I am working on a rebuild video for the 9100, if you can wait a few weeks, I may have it done by then.
3) Assuming the old piston assemblies can be used, are there any other parts likely to be required? Pistons, seal and spacers, brine valve, brine assembly o-rings, DLFC button, that's about it.

sidmoore

Reaction score
1) Are new piston assemblies needed? Considering the age, it would be considered good practice to replace them.
2) Tricks and tips for disassembly/reassembly. Nothing difficult here, remove the screws from the front and back, replace the parts. The difficult part is making sure the seals are on the "lands" inside the valve. I am working on a rebuild video for the 9100, if you can wait a few weeks, I may have it done by then.
3) Assuming the old piston assemblies can be used, are there any other parts likely to be required? Pistons, seal and spacers, brine valve, brine assembly o-rings, DLFC button, that's about it.

Hey, DH, thanx for the info, and the tip on your soon-to-be-released video on a rebuild of the Fleck 9100. If possible, please give me a heads up when you get it finished. I can wait on this leak problem for a few weeks until then.

In the meantime, after removing the piston assemblies, can one tell, visually, that the pistons have sustained wear? Are there any telltale signs? Also, is it good practice to use silicone lube on these parts when assembling?

Summary:
1) Do pistons show visible signs of wear?
2) Is silicone lube a good idea?
3) Thanks!!

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The pistons will usually show visible signs of wear, pay close attention to the piston rod, this is the part that protrudes from the valve. It is also a Teflon coated brass piece and is part of the piston.

Dow release compound #7 is the only lubricant that should be used on the seals and spacers and the piston.

sidmoore

Reaction score
The pistons will usually show visible signs of wear, pay close attention to the piston rod, this is the part that protrudes from the valve. It is also a Teflon coated brass piece and is part of the piston.

Dow release compound #7 is the only lubricant that should be used on the seals and spacers and the piston.

Okay, ditttohead, I think I've got it.

I placed my order with softenerparts.com after 10pm on Friday and the order arrived in Monday's mail! Is that awesome, or, what??? Plus, Andrew Cross, of SoftenerParts, is equally swift in giving help to customers---almost instant replies to queries for help. The only word to describe Andrew and his company is AWESOME!! The only glitch to my repair is they do not sell Dow 7 and I have to wait at least another week from another company. Once the Dow 7 arrives and the weather improves a bit, I think I'm ready to tackle the job.

Any chance your video will be finished by then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks