Leaking dual paned windows

Users who are viewing this thread

PJ Flocker

Reaction score
I have a new home with 3 leaky windows. I say it is the windows because when it rains hard I have the carpet peeled back to see when and how fast it makes it down to the baseboards and to the concrete. I first noticed it from the baseboards peeling away from the wall. There are no water leak marks around the windows, window sills or on the ceilings etc. It appears it may be faulty windows and the leak from a poor mitre joint. The windows are "Milgard" dual pane, Low-e, metal windows. We have tested the windows with running water on just the windows to try and narrow down the issue. Our next step is to tear out the interior walls just below the windows to see where the leak is coming from exactly. Anyone seen this issue before?? :(

THX!! PJ

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
You might look closely at the window frame outside and along the sill to see whether any weep holes might somehow be draining inside your wall. I do not know whether all metal-frame windows have weep holes, but I do know siding installers do not always notice them.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, metal frame windows have weep holes, and these are a continuing headache at my condo. Homeowners don't know they need to check them clear, painters love to paint them , etc!!

Years ago we had lot of water intrusion issues, and the method to find the leak usually involved removing some interior drywall to observe the situation. This is often successful.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
New Home is under warantee,wheres' the builder?
I was a pella c p c and do many windows. Where do You live?

Millguard has a lifetime warantee . I have a small book written by a man that travels the U S giving testemony on window lawsuits. This is what He does to seperate ,window leaks from soruund leaks'

1 st. duck tape plastic sheet over whole window and frame 1st. Load wall with water above widow for 1/2 hr.checking inside for leaks. [He uses vice grips
on hose nozzel atached to ladder]. Reverse this, No plastic on window, wall
receives plactic,window shower window. IT'S USUALLY THE INSTALLATION,
NOT THE WINDOW. GOT HEAD FLASHING? Now go out and pull

for My BOSTON RED SOX :D:D

Last edited by a moderator:

PJ Flocker

Reaction score
Leaky Leaks...

Hey Guys thanks...sorry, live in PHX,AZ
The weep holes are not covered and are clear...water does not back up much in the track unless it is raining real hard and windy. We have checked all around the windows outside for any cracks etc...Builder is helping...we plan to tear apart the drywall next, just waiting to have company leave before breaking into the walls and insulation. We have already had Milgard out once...need to show them proof and re-inact the situation. The last time they were here we could not. I like your suggestion (toolaholic)...and where can I get the book, I may need something like that??

Thx PJ ;)

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
P J

Glad You're getting help. please think about this HARD.

If You put in a water claim with Your home owners insurance,this might happen. Because of MOLD MANIA ,YOU May get dropped,red flagged to all carriers, New insurance by others can double.

An older Gal in Ca. had no damage,only inquired about weather She had mold coverage,SHE WAS DROPPED. The Ca. Attorney General has gone after these Co. When You open walls You'll find Your leak,OOPS, THEIR LEAK !!!

Mort

Reaction score
Water should not be backing up into the track I wouldn't think......unless you leave the windows open when it rains ;) It could be something as odd as a very small crack in the stucco (assuming your house has stucco exterior) and water is getting through and finding an opening where the window meets the frame...like perhaps a screw hole.

Mort (who has been the stucco crack route that took almost a year to finally locate)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks