Leaking Delta shower faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

supercrewdude

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a Delta Monitor shower faucet which through searching here I've found is a model 1500. I'm going to post a pic to be sure. It drips slowly and I'm getting ready to sell the house and do not want a leaking faucet. What I need help with is disassembling it to rebuild/replace whatever is necessary to fix it. I removed the handle, the temp. control knob and an 11/16" nut that went onto the white part around the stem. This is where I'm stuck. The chrome assembly there will not move. Am I missing something? Or does it take extreme effort to pull off in order to reveal the parts I need to change. Thanks to anyone that can help. I truly appreciate it.

This is the fixture:

IMG_0860.jpg

And this is where I've run into problems:

IMG_0863.jpg

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That nut was holding the cartridge together, and you should not have removed it. You do need to remove the sleeve to access the bonnet nut which hold it all together. WHen you get to that, DO NOT overtorque it. If it does not turn, you want to use heat, or split the bonnet nut with a hacksaw or dremel.

delta-temp-control.jpg

supercrewdude

Reaction score
What's getting me is the lower right part of your diagram. Its the section that the handle screws in to. Thats whats not coming off. It seems the sleeve behind it is loose and will come off once the handle section is out of the way. It seems I'm missing something in getting it to come off, or else it's going to take a lot of effort to pull it off. I will put that nut back on. It was easy to come off so it should go back on without a problem....I hope.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It has been a long time since I have even seen a 1500, but the nut should hold the handle on, NOT keep the cartridge together, and once it is removed the handle pulls off, although it appears that yours needs a little "persuasion". Put the lever back on so you have something for leverage as you wiggle the handle base. Then you remove the cover tube and lock nut before pulling the cartridge out.

delta-rp29405.jpg

delta-1700-series-2.jpg

Reactions: SHR

supercrewdude

Reaction score
Thank you hj for your response. I thought that nut needed to come off but I was not sure. I am going to do what you suggested. I just didn't want to ruin the thing by yanking and prying without hearing from some guys who know!!

The house was built in 1997 and it's a 2 bath home....but the upstairs fixture isn't the same as the downstairs one....would've expected them to match. Anyway....here's to hoping that it comes off and I can get the parts for it.

Thanks again to you and jimbo for the help.

supercrewdude

Reaction score
Just dropping back to say thank you for the help. A lot of folks get what they need and never come back....but the job is done and much money was saved. So thanks again for helping all of us DIYers with your knowledge.

Jorge Ruiz

Reaction score
It has been a long time since I have even seen a 1500, but the nut should hold the handle on, NOT keep the cartridge together, and once it is removed the handle pulls off, although it appears that yours needs a little "persuasion". Put the lever back on so you have something for leverage as you wiggle the handle base. Then you remove the cover tube and lock nut before pulling the cartridge out.

I have exactly thesame set up, is there supposed to be two o rings and srings or three. it has three paces where there can be o rings. please help

PAPACWB

Reaction score

I have this same situation where the sleeve the flow volume control handle is in will not come off. I get from the quote above that it should come of with a little persuasion. As in Supercrewdude's picture, there is quite a bit of corrosion. Should this section slid off leaving the white plastic part (which my guess is part of the cartridge)? I plan on using a conversion kit to change to the 1700 series cartridge. I am just not sure if I should try and pry this off or not. Please help. Anyone. Would much appreciate.

ekammn

Reaction score
Issues with Removing Sleeve (?)

Hello HJ. My issue is similar, but I'm not sure if it's the same model. I cannot get the sleeve (?) off by pulling, wiggling, smacked it a few times with a wrench... when it moves you can hear the left-over water in the pipes making noise in the back (the water is shut off), so I feel like it is still attached somehow and requires a different way to come off... Does that plastic white piece have to come off first? It turn, but it doesn't come off and there is no screw holding it on. If you tell me it just needs a little "persuasion"... then I will keep trying! Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

20140320_132021.jpg

Last edited:

fernie48

Reaction score
Hi

How did you get the sleeve off, with pursuasion, twisting and pulling or does that small metal bar on the right side of the picture need to come off first?

MJ

Ronnie $

Reaction score
sweet0173 I'm also stuck in the same spot. I took the face plate off with the red and blue stripe for hot/cold. Then I removed the black plastic part and the screw in the center. But now I have the little circular white plastic piece with all the teeth that goes on the inside of the sleeve. I took that plastic white cap off that's shown in ekammn's pic and beneath that is the nut. Now I'm at the point where the sleeve is loose and can turn 360 degrees but it will NOT slide off. It appears that the nut is holding it in place, but someone towards the beginning of this thread says do not take the nut off. I think my problem is the hole for "hot" is clogged because I live in an area with very hard water and all I need to do is clean it out, but I don't want to damage anything. Also, in the event I do damage something, is there a separate shut off for just that shower? I read somewhere that you would have to turn the main off if there is a problem.

Bund

Reaction score
I wanted to first thank all who have contributed to this thread. I successfully replaced my 1500 cartridge and ran into many of the same issues which I was able to work through based on other posts here.
My issue now is the hot water doesn't get as hot as it did before. I have to assume I didn't align something properly when I put it back together. Thoughts?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may need to move the internal safety stop to allow it to get hotter. That is discussed in the installation manual which is available online, if you don't have it.

Bund

Reaction score
You may need to move the internal safety stop to allow it to get hotter. That is discussed in the installation manual which is available online, if you don't have it.
Thank you for the reply. Will I need to shut the water off to remove that?

t_heidelberg

Reaction score
OK, I just went through this process last night. Pry off the end cap with Red/Blue color bonnet. Unscrew the screw and remove water temp piece. There is a little white piece that fits inside the water temp piece, carefully remove this with a small screwdriver by prying on each side of it. Then REMOVE the metal nut with an 11/16 socket. Now wiggle the rest of the piece off. Then slide off the back sleeve. Now the tricky part. You need to remove a brass bonnet. I think I over torqued mine (turned it about 20 degrees before it loosened. I just replaced the spring and gaskets in the back and put it all back together and nothing leaks, so hopefully it is ok. Just be careful when you take that bonnet off. Wish I had taken more time and tried heat or something.

Kezug

Reaction score
The brass ring design is the worst I have ever seen...mine would not come off and thus resulted in total, costly, full replacement! Horrible design Delta!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks