Leaking copper union

Users who are viewing this thread

BigD

Reaction score
Vertical installation, we have a tiny leak at the union.

Should we pull it out and steel wool the surfaces? I don't think Teflon tape would help the threads...the leak isn't there.

Anything we can do to help these surfaces be happy?

Thanks in advance.

Denise

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
About the only reasons a union will leak is it has not aligned internally or if there is a flaw on one of the surfaces. The two ends must be straight with each other when it is tightened. You should be able to tighten it by hand almost completely. A wrench just finishes the job. The actual seal is made by the two union surfaces coming together, so no tape or sealant is used on the threads.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Put pipe compound, not tape, on the mating surfaces and TIGHTEN it with two, or three, wrenches. You will NEVER get a copper union to "seal" hand tight, or even by "slightly" tightening it.

BigD

Reaction score
Put pipe compound, not tape, on the mating surfaces and TIGHTEN it with two, or three, wrenches. You will NEVER get a copper union to "seal" hand tight, or even by "slightly" tightening it.

I'll try that. It's pretty darn straight on, but perhaps some pipe compound and re-seating it will do the trick. Fingers are crossed!

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
I will try to describe what I do to "SEAT" a union. It is best to have a pipe wrench for this. It is a good idea to lubricate all contact areas of the union with a silicone food grade lube.

1. Put the union together and get the colar good and snug.

2. Give the colar a good rap or two with a wrench.

3. Size the pipe wrench so that it catches the outer edge of the colar and with some kind of back up wrench tighten it till it stops leaking.

Sizing the wrench so that it catches on the flat surface will cause the colar to become out of round and cause it to seize thus working against yourself. This is a great way to get one apart as well. You will be amazed at how much tighter you wil get it. I have showed this trick to experienced plumbers and they tell me how smart I am. This is a trick I learned from the old timer steam fitters when I worked at Purdue University. I started my plumbing experience there in 1978. Now I work at ASU.

Greg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks