Leaking behind the wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Needashower

Reaction score
I have a big problem in my upstairs shower/bath. There is a leak coming from somewhere behind the wall, but only when the shower runs, not the bathtub. I have pulled off some tiles down by the floor and can actually see water running down the wall. The problem does not seem to be coming from the tile, but from some pipe behind the wall. I had someone cut open the ceiling below, but of course, it didn't leak while he looked! I have minor water spots on the ceiling below. Any idea what is causing this or how much it will cost to repair? I know nothing about plumbing, but I did re-caulk and re-grout. Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the leak only occurs when using the shower, the leak has to be between the diverter valve and the shower head. No way to even guess how much it will cost to fix.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have often found that shower arms ( chrome pipe that head connects to) break a little at the threads , especially if one of those "shower caddies" is used often and loaded down heavy. Try taking the shower arm out,then thread in a 1/2" nipple and cap.Turn on SHOWER no water should come out,if the leak is still running down wall by faucet then you have a leak in the pipe or fittings.

A

alhurley

be VERY gentle removing that arm. When we tore out our shower for rebuild I put a strap wrench on mine and it popped like cheap plastic. Don't know if it was leaking, but it was certainly close. :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks