Leaking AS Press Bal Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

azmanatheart

Reaction score
Website
www.meritkitchen.com
Hi-
I have an American Standard single handle pressure balance mixing valve in a shower stall bathroom we seldom use. Is only about 8-10 years old. It was leaking a fairly steady stream of water, so I removed and replaced the ceramic disc cartridge with a genuine AS part. The valve part is a 1041 Type P ASSE 1016 A112.81.1 . Thats what the label said on the old cartridge, and I purchased and installed a A954440-0070A 46-4440, which was identical in every way. The only thing I noticed that different was the amount the gaskets protruded on the new one, which I assumed was a good thing, since the gaskets on the one I removed were almost flush. I did Flush out the line while the valve was out to make sure there was no sand or debris. I used silicone grease on the gaskets and installed the new one, being sure to get it seated right. I tightended it on the 3 screws about 1/4 turn beyond when they reached their limit, and am afraid to tighten it any more for fear I will crack the plastic body.

It leaks just like it did before; no change. I dont understand how the water can get around the ceramic discs, but it does. Something tells me this is not so unheard of, but the 'guy' in the plumbing wholesale parts store said it will definitely not leak once I replace the cartridge.

So my question is, whats wrong with this $39 wonder? I'm sure. as a layman, I got my face ripped off and payed $50 for the cartridge(even asking nicely for a trade discount since Im a kitchen designer). What else could it be? The pressure balance valve? If so, how does the water get past the shut off valve?

Please, I'm selling the home and this was a big deal on the dreaded punch list. How do I fix this?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks