leak testing new closet bend

Users who are viewing this thread

lgndu42nv

Reaction score
Hello, While doing demo for my current bathroom remodel, I found out that the original closet bend is lead. After doing a lot of reading on this forum, and elsewhere, I decided to remove all of the lead back to the CI hub, and replace with PVC like what is suggested here:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/replacing-a-lead-closet-bend.38003/
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/another-broken-toilet-flange-thread.34981/

I now have what I think is a pretty good seal between the PVC and CI using a Fernco donut, but I am tying to find out if there is some why to test the connection prior to putting down the new subfloor and tile. It would be awful to get the entire bathroom finished, flush the toilet for the first time, and realize there is a leak.

I've poured multiple buckets of water down the pipe, and it doesn't leak. But my concern is that when a toilet flushes, there is a larger concentration(not amount) of water than when a bucket is being poured. Put another way, 1.28 or 1.6 gallons of water travel through that pipe in a second or two when flushing the toilet vs. 3 gallons traveling through the pipe over 15 seconds when pouring a bucket into the pipe.

lgndu42nv

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Terry! I'd say everything is pretty snug. If I grab the pvc piece tight and put some muscle into it, I can get the pvc to slide around in the donut a little bit, but that's probably due to the soap on there from installation. the donut doesn't move around in the CI hub. I've even gone as far to bring a garden hose in through the window and open the valve wide open and let water run though the pipe for at least a minute. No leaks.
I guess I'm mainly looking for confidence in my work. Im concerned about the volumetric flow rate difference between a hose and a toilet. My engineering brain is just wired to think that way, haha.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks