Leak near radon vent in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Mesa1987

Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed a leak in the middle of my basement, right where my radon vent enters the ceiling (see picture titled ‘Basement View - Note leak right of vent.jpg’). This is a passive radon system and the vent continues through the 1st and 2nd floor, into the attic and through the roof. It has rained moderately for the last three days.

I initially thought that I may have a roof leak, but when I inspected the vent in the attic I found no evidence of leakage. The exterior of the vent was dry (see pictures titled ‘Attic View #1 - Radon Vent on Left.jpg’ and ‘Attic View #2 - Radon Vent on Right.jpg’). The leak in the basement is located directly below the #1 attic picture, where the vent exits the attic floor. Since the radon vent bends 45° upon entering the attic from the basement (Picture #1), and then bends again 45° before exiting to the roof (Picture #2), a roof leak should be located at the second 45° near the attic ceiling, not the floor.

When I looked at the exterior of my roof, I noticed that neither the radon vent nor the plumbing vent stack had a cap on it (Roof View - Radon Vent on Left.jpg). This leads me to conclude that the rain water is running into my radon vent and somehow finding a way out after the vent descends below the attic floor. Does anyone else have another plausible reason for this leak?

If this is indeed the cause, can I just put a rain cap on the vent or should I try and find the leak somewhere between the basement and attic? The vent appears to run through a second floor utility closet (2nd floor) and a coat closet (1st floor) but I hate to have the rip up the sheetrock if I don’t have too.

I’d appreciate any thoughts on my predicament.
Thanks

Mesa1987

Attachments

• Basement View - Note leak right of vent.jpg.jpg
    Basement View - Note leak right of vent.jpg.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,442
  • Attic View #1 - Radon Vent on Left.jpg.jpg
    Attic View #1 - Radon Vent on Left.jpg.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,406
  • Attic View #2 - Radon Vent on Right.jpg.jpg
    Attic View #2 - Radon Vent on Right.jpg.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,417
  • Roof View - Radon Vent on Left.jpg.jpg
    Roof View - Radon Vent on Left.jpg.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,342

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If there is no leak on the exterior of the pipe there may be a fitting that is not glued up right and the rain water falling into the pipe is finding its way out through the hub.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Unless there is another source such as a leak elsewhere dripping on the pipe then all I could suggest is that the pipe is sweating which might happen in cold damp weather.

Mesa1987

Reaction score
Thanks,

If the pipe is sweating, do you have any suggestions on how I could resolve it?

I live in Greenville, SC. I just checked the rain over the last two weeks. We got 1.5†on 22 Dec, 1.3†on Christmas day and .62†New Years eve (last night). I first noticed the leak on 30 Dec when I was cleaning out a section of the basement in preparation for a renovation (obviously on hold until I can resolve this leak).

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
wrap insulation around it... that's what the HVAC folks do to stop ductwork from sweating.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks