Leak in Price Pfister Faucet

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by George R, Mar 7, 2005.

1. George R

George R New Member

My mother has a 36 series PF kitchen faucet 8H6-85PC purchased 2-3 years ago at one of the bigbox stores. This faucet developed a leak and upon removing the stem discovered that it has 2 ceramic mating surfaces and a thin rubber washer on the bottom.

I thought that the ceramic was supposed to be a lifetime like deal. It certainly doesnt seem like it should be leaking after only 2-3 years. The local Menards sells the complete stem assembly (PF brand) for $16 each(S10-900). But no other washers etc. for this faucet. I don't particularly want to spend $32 fixing a relatively new faucet. There doesnt seem to be any particulate material preventing the seal.

Can these ceramic seals be polished, such as with 1000 grit emery cloth? Any other inexpensive solutions?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. PEW

PEW DIY Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pp

You do not even know what is leaking in the faucet, so why would you start sanding the ceramic pieces, even if you could smooth them better? Call 1-800-PFAUCET and have PP send you two new stems.
  4. George R

George R New Member

Thanks

Thanks PEW and hj.

I phoned PF and they are sending two replacement stems, free of charge. Just a $5.00 shipping fee. Very pleasant to deal with, I'm impressed. Thanks again. George
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pp

I never heard of them charging shipping before.